1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

She needed to sub in Idi Amin for ol' Adolf

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's a Jemele Hill thread on SportsJournalists.com. Not a surprise, really.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Congrats, Oz, you pushed us to 10 pages! :D :D :D

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'll say this, whatever I may think about the Jemele Hill situation.

I went and read the comments on her blog. As a female sportswriter, I've received my fair share of yahoo e-mails. But a lot of the stuff there was not only offensive, but turned my stomach.

To add the sympathy vote, none of you have walked a mile in her shoes. If you wonder where the "angry black woman" schtick comes from, you probably develop a little bit of that from this kind of personal attack.

Because it's a sure thing that she doesn't only get it when she screws up. She's probably been getting versions of it every day since she got into the business. People suck.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I understand your POV, but consider: It's her blog. There doesn't have to be any comments anywhere on it. And she certainly doesn't need to inflame them with immature responses. When you do that, and do so in juxtaposition to your apology, well, you have to be some kind of stupid, or you're embracing, to some extent, these bozos as your "readership."

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I read her apology, and I was taught to place the most important thing at the top of a story, and I would guess the same is true of a blog.

How many things were written about before she got around to apologizing?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think 10 pages is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.