1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele and Mike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

JMO - but I think your guess is wrong.

Here's a recent article about adopting transracially. (White parents adopting a black child.) It's 10 things you should know.

10 Things You Should Know Before Adopting Transracially

The first one: You must be comfortable talking about white supremacy.

The third one: Your child won't have the luxury of avoiding conversations of race, privilege and supremacy.

The ninth one: "Have you ever posted #BlackLivesMatter on your page? Do you have a sign in your yard? If not, why? If so, you may need to unfriend folks from your friends list, or educate them about why this matters to you. Those who feel defensive about these sentiments likely aren’t folks who your kiddos will feel safe around.”

My read, and maybe I'm wrong, is that "white supremacy" is part a reeducation campaign.

White supremacy is not being used to describe bad racists.

It's being used to describe America.

Buck likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't really understand your post. What did I say that you find wrong?

I was just looking at what these things actually mean. White Supremacy is literally a belief that white people are superior to people of other races. Racism itself isn't an ideology in the same way. It's the prejudice and antagonism (for any reason) -- which is due to race. I am sure there are people who are racist without an ideology of racial superiority.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I learn so much from your posts.

Here in Indianapolis, the top TV sports guys have been entrenched for more than a decade. I don't know any of them well enough to ask if they've ever tried to go anywhere else, but all of them are so well-known and liked that I can't imagine why they'd leave. And most have good side gigs, from radio shows to working IndyCar races. News reporters, however, churn through seemingly all the time, except for maybe one or two at each station that are the top investigative types.

And per your "divisions" -- Sage Steele was here in early in her career. Spent about two years as a weekend anchor before moving to a bigger gig in Florida, and kept moving up the ladder after that.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Indy is a lifer market and one where sports will always have a place. NFL/NBA, Indy, IU and even Butler and high school basketball mean the need for content is always there.

A lot of those guys are older than dirt and have been in the market forever.

Sage is excellent at what she does. Not surprised she has a lot of prominent roles. Paid her dues. Her job now is more traffic cop on the studio shows.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe - and I may be wrong - that white supremacy is morphing into a term that would be on the same level with, say, the word democracy.

In other words: "America is defined by its white supremacy."

I think one could be, according to some, an unwitting white supremacist. Or, more to the point, that whether one is or isn't a white supremacist isn't up to the white person's opinion, but a black person judging a white person's level of privilege awareness independent of what the white person thinks of it.

It's a state of being instead of a state of thinking or doing, with white people so unaware to the totality of their racist thinking, they don't even know they are.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

In other words, all white people are supremacists.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Callabro is so fucking bad as the 500 P.A. guy every year I want to stab my eardrums. His track commentary is literally the most irritating thing I hear all year, and my 4-year-old watches "Wonder Pets."

I hope you aren't him.

If you are, though: You suck.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's been good to me on a couple of occasions, but yeah, I can't vigorously argue that.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The last several pages have been rightly focused on a sports TV host calling the president a white supremacist, a term many people attribute to Nazis.

And, again, I think Jemele Hill's definition of white supremacy is part of an emerging definition among thinkers and writers - mostly black - that defines supremacy in much broader terms. I personally don't agree with this broader definition - actually, I think it's a little inappropriate - but I don't think she called Trump a Nazi.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this. Might as well be here:

HanSenSE, dixiehack and Hermes like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

In a way, it's not wrong.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Everyone has tip-toed around this woman since she was at the Orlando Sentinel and didn't get fired for having a personal blog (that was public) that criticized men who didn't give good oral sex. If she was overly talented, I could understand.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.