1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jelenic resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by penguin, Oct 12, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Having been laid off by the man himself, and having seen the ramifications of the way he's treated people...
    I don't wish cancer on anybody. I'd prefer to see Jelenic live another 20 years in shame and infamy.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

What does it say about a guy that so many people here openly wish his demise? I don't think this is random message board disconnect. This guy has ruined more lives, careers and properties and got rich by abusing people who cared really deeply about their local newspaper. The only reason these papers survive is because people in those towns can't think of life without them.

I feel sad in one sense. He is going to die, and that is what he has to show for it? Has anyone ever said a nice thing about the man? There have been corporate barons and people like this, but this guy has uniquely channeled a hatred more so than other robber barons.

It isn't business. This is personal.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

jfs asks a fair question.

Just remember, if you choose to respond to it, do so in a professional manner. There is a tough line to straddle here, but do not cross it.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would hope, and maybe it's the part of me that thinks even the most wretched man walking among us can be redeemed upon repentance, that he sees the results of his actions over the however many years he's sat as King Shit of Turd Mountain and realized just how damaging they were. As a healthy man he apparently gave not a whit about the people whose lives were irrevocably damaged by his psychotic micro-managing and quick trigger finger on the firing gun. Maybe now that he's on the precipice of the next life, he'll regret what he's done. It obviously does little if any good for those people, but at least it would be a small victory.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well said, MM. One would hope that perhaps Jelenic might feel some remorse if he has a shred of basic human decency.

But that quickly invites the question: If he didn't feel inhumane doing what he did building wealth and destroying the lives of people who cared about those towns, their respective newspapers and the profession as a whole, is a medical plight like his the only reason he might feel remorse? Better late than never, I guess.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hard to tell from where we're sitting. Obviously a terminal illness changes your perspective quickly (yes, he's had cancer before, but imminent death makes this different). Perhaps if he lived to 100 he would have slowly realized his mistake. Perhaps he'd have a Ebenezer Scrooge revelation, or a chance encounter that triggers the tidal wave. Or maybe he just goes down as much an uncaring jerk as he apparently was in life. Which would be unfortunate, because every story should tell a moral outside of "don't be like this guy."

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MM, I hope you are right. For his sake.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i could give two shits if the guy repents or not. he fucked a lotta people and i'm not jesus ... i don't forgive folks that act like megacocks.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'm in this camp, though I never knew the hell of working at jrc.

But I have no sympathy and little compassion for those who crap on people all their lives and then, when the end is near, suddenly mist up and scatter-shoot a bunch of transparent apologies that translate as: "Oh, God, I'm sorry now. Can I please go to heaven?"

I used to have a boss who, at the end of the night, would thank us for coming in. It was quick and sincere, and he did it every night. Not that something like that is expected, but we all woulda run through a brick wall for that guy.

I guess I got spoiled early on.

In the end, the suits got rid of that guy for some bullshit reason, and last I saw he was managing a 7-Eleven.

10. SwingAndAMiss

SwingAndAMiss New Member

Well put. I'm just glad he stayed around long enough to see JRC stock plummet 85 percent and reach the indisputable conclusion that his career-raping business model was an utter and complete failure. And while I don't mock his demise, I definitely won't offer a single crocodile tear toward it.

11. lono

lono Active Member

I take no joy in my former employer's situation, but I feel not a shred of sorrow, either.

By the ticket, take the ride, Bob.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is the fellow picked to succeed Bob one of his hatchet yes men? How far into the corporate ladder do those folks go down?

Draft saved Draft deleted