1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeffrey Toobin on Clarence Thomas in the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Rush is an exceedingly rare conservative who doesn't want anything to do with bi-partisan politics.

Why, the others are all meeting with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, trying to hammer out some meet-in-the-middle legislation.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh. I think it had more to do with people having opinions about topics they're uninformed on.

I listen to NPR now. I can have a much better formed opinion of their programming, their (alleged) bias, their worthiness for public funding, etc.

Lots of folks here have an opinion of Rush & his program based solely on what they've hear about his show, not based on listening to it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't care if people pursue bi-partisanship or not. Some issues don't call for it.

What I do care about are policy arguments in support of an ideology that are more sophisticated than, "The other side are pinko commie liberals out to destroy America. Oh, and they didn't deserve to get into college, either. And they eat arugula."

4. YankeeFan

Well, Rush has been on the air for over 20 years. He's responsible for much of the fight in the GOP. (And I say this as a good thing.)

The Republican base doesn't want to return to the days of Bob Michel, where we got along famously with Democrats, and got little to none of our agenda enacted.

Rush's program has made it much easier for conservatives to realize that they re not alone in their thinking. That they should not be afraid to speak up, and speak out.

5. YankeeFan

That's no it at all.

Does he mock liberals as arugula eating phonies? Sure.

There's also a lot more to it than that.

6. Dick Whitman

It's true. Rich, white, Christian men are a very oppressed demographic in the United States.

7. Dick Whitman

Why does he feel compelled to do that, though?

Why is it necessary to mock the other side like a middle school bully?

You tell me there's more to it. I don't care that there's more to it. This stuff is where he loses me, and I don't care if he follows it up with a PhD-level dissertation on the Austrian School.

8. YankeeFan

It's not oppression.

It's the conventional opinion -- in the media, at universities, etc. -- that liberal policy is correct. The idea that liberals are more compassionate and have all the answers.

And, in general, I'd say liberals are much more willing to wear their politics on their sleeve. They'll drop their politics into a casual conversation just assuming that everyone agrees with them.

And, since most people don't want to get into an argument in a social setting, it's not argued.

And, most conservatives I know don't want to get into an argument about abortion, gun control, Iraq, healthcare, etc. in a social setting, so we don't bring it up at a cocktail party.

I wouldn't go off on Barack Obama at a party. Bashing George Bush was normal.

Rush provides a forum for folks to realize/remember that their are a lot of folks who agree with them.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Liked the part about he and Ginny taking their Winnebago to college football games.

10. YankeeFan

A. Sometimes it's worth pointing out that someone is a phony.

B. It's effective. Mockery works. Making a joke out of your opponent works.

11. Dick Whitman

I'm sorry, but this is silliness. And generalizing with nothing to back it up.

I've been at a million parties and BBQ's and other get-togethers where people have no problem going off on Nancy Pelosi or Barack Obama as if everyone agrees with them.

Your post is starting for a premise that you haven't even come close to proving.

12. Dick Whitman

At what cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.