1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeffrey Toobin on Clarence Thomas in the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why would you waste one second worrying about a potential Supreme Court ruling being "deligitimized" -- whatever that means?

It's this kind of sleight of hand that allowed the Republicans to be in charge for 8 years and ncrease spending and the national debt while stoking the base with the fear that the "big-spending, big-government liberals" might take over.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I repeat my long-held and broadcast contention that the Right's battle against the mandate is one of the least sensical policy crusades of my lifetime.

3. Dick Whitman

It means that it would be ripe for overturn, even if that just means chipping away aggressively at the margins of the decision until it is no longer recognizable, like what has happened to Roe v. Wade, a valid concern hypothetically.

Rush Limbaugh is a moron. Why do you listen to that garbage?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Side Effects by Body System - for Healthcare Professionals

General

In general, the adverse effects that occur with oxycodone are similar with the immediate- and controlled-release products. Adverse effects may be dose-related in opioid naive patients. Patients who are tolerant to the analgesic effect of oxycodone may be tolerant to the dose-related side effects, except constipation.
    Nervous system

Nervous system side effects are common and include drowsiness (23% to 24%), sedation, dizziness (13% to 16%), headache (7%). dry mouth (7%), and lightheadedness. Many of the central nervous system adverse effects may be minimized by slow titration of the dose.
    Respiratory

Respiratory depression may occur with any opioid, including oxycodone. Other effects may include apnea, respiratory arrest, and rarely circulatory collapse.

Severe adverse effects such as respiratory depression can be treated with the opiate antagonist naloxone. (The usual adult dose of naloxone is 1 to 2 mg every 5 minutes as necessary to a maximum of 10 mg. The dose can be administered intravenously, intramuscularly, subcutaneously, and sublingually.)
    Gastrointestinal

Nausea (23% to 27%), vomiting (12% to 14%), and constipation (23% to 26%) occur commonly.
    Other

Withdrawal symptoms, after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of narcotic analgesics, may occur and include agitation, palpitations, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, tremor, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, vomiting, piloerection, and sweating.

Psychosis has also been reported during withdrawal from oxycodone.
    Psychiatric

Psychiatric adverse effects reported include paranoia, psychosis, and hallucinations.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That doesn't address the merits of the law, or the case.

6. Dick Whitman

I've addressed it on here probably a dozen times. It's a tax. Case closed.

7. YankeeFan

Hate to tell you, but I think Rush is very smart.

And, he's a very good political analyst.

Now, there's read meat, hyperbole, satire, and sarcasm as a part of his show. And, most people miss that when they take a single quote of his out of context.

If you listen long enough -- and I have -- you'll get it.

I'm also happy to point out that I've been listening to a lot of NPR lately. I challenged folks to listen to Rush while I listened to NPR a while ago. I'm not sure anyone listened to Rush, but I did listen to NPR and like a lot of their programming.

Especially on the weekends when conservative talk stations have reruns or paid programming, it's a much better alternative. Better than Savage or some of the other right wingers as well.

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. This American Life. Sound Opinions. Like 'em all. And, I even get to hear board favorite Charlie Pierce on occasion.

I actually want to go to a Wait, Wait broadcast.

8. Dick Whitman

Rush Limbaugh is smart, I grant you that. But he exploits his listeners worst stereotypes about "liberals." It's not thoughtful. It's not educational. It's not healthy. He spends most of his time on the air demonizing the other side of legitimate policy debates, and I can't get on board with that.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would NPR be the analogous listening experience to Rush Limbaugh? One tries to educate and look at every side of an issue. The other tries to inflame. If you wanted to have an equal horizon-expanding month, there would be a deal between Randi Rhodes listeners and Rush listeners. Personally, I'd never bother with either one.

You are right, Rush is smart. And this Clarence Thomas conspiracy proves how smart he is: He can't possibly believe that garbage, but he knows his base will eat it up so he gives it to them.

10. YankeeFan

I don't necessarily want to have a big debate about Rush, and I need to get out of here soon.

But, I'll say this. Rush is about beating the other side. He doesn't want to get along with them for some false sense of "bi-partisanship".

The left has plenty of folks like this. Too often, the right is afraid of the New York Times opinion of them, or the reception they'll get at the next D.C. cocktail party to actually pursue political victory.

Rush isn't a politician. He's out front with his beliefs. It's actually very valuable for Republican politicians. Like a canary in a coal mine, they can follow safely once Rush has made some headway for them.

11. Dick Whitman

Rush's idiotic theory puts journalists in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't position - which is the intention.

When Thomas is dismissed, it's because liberals disagree with his ideology and their liberal bias is coming out.

When Thomas is credited, as here, it's because liberals are trying to rally the troops to action.

Ulterior motives at every turn.

Liberals! Ooga! Booga!

12. Dick Whitman

Very accurate. The GOP is definitely the party that is afraid to pursue its policies, as evidenced most recently by the debt ceiling debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.