1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Zeleny to ABC News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More money? Better hours? Or, is even a top political writer at the Times fearful about his future in newspapers?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

All of the above?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Even in the Times' heyday, you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would turn down a network offer, wouldn't you? TV pay has always dwarfed newspapers.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Am I wrong to detect a tone of condescension in Jill Abramson's comment? That Zeleny is great on TV and here's how you know: The great Jill Abramson deigns to send him "mash notes" (I had never heard that term until I read that comment, but it appeared again in today's Times in a different context) after seeing him do his cute little turns on camera.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Maybe at the upper levels.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another factor that shouldn't be overlooked is the Times' recent buyouts with several top editors leaving.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, Fred Graham to CBS immediately came to mind. IIRC, James Wooten to ABC, as well, although Wooten may have been the other way around. I'm not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted