1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Shelman leaving Star Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Augsburg is a great school, and they are very fortunate to have a good guy like Jeff come on board.

Best of luck to Jeff in his new job.

2. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

The best part will be when Jeff has a job and some of the people who didn't fight for him when he got forced out of sports don't have a job.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Jeff helped me immensely during my summer at the STrib.

He deserves the good things in life.

4. rdeitsch

rdeitsch New Member

Though our paths crossed only briefly many moons ago on the shores of Lake Erie, Jeff Shelman stood out for being a class reporter and a better guy. I enjoyed following his journalism from afar.

I know very little about Augsburg College but I do know this: Damn good hire, Auggies.

Best of luck, Jeff.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Augsburg's claims to fame in the sports world are that Devean George went there, and in the late 90s a receiver named Scott Hvistendahl broke Jerry Rice's NCAA record for career receiving yardage (pretty sure Hvistendahl's record has since been broken). They also routineley get stomped in football by my alma mater, St. John's, but that might change this year. (yes, there is such a thing as an MIAC fan boy).

Augsburg's SID, Don Stoner, is an old newspaper guy as well, although he got out of the business a decade ago.

Definitely another big loss for the Strib.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeff's a class act and was one of my favorite college basketball writers. I would have considered him among the best college hoops writers in the country.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Believe it, silentbob. Sports editors often don't have union protection, so there's a limit to how much even the toughest of them is willing to buck management.

These days, it goes about as far as some scathing retort and resistance such as "Yessir! Right away sir!"

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Jeff Shelman is a class act and a stellar journalist who has passion for our profession. He's been a sage mentor in my young (getting older by the day) career, and I'm thankful for that.

Jeff will kick butt in his new role.

I can only hope Star-Tribune execs will look back on its decision-making and shake their heads in disgust.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Strib's college coverage hasn't been the same since Shelman went to newsside.

Yet another example of an immensely talented writer/reporter run out of the business.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good job, newspapers, you're kicking ass these days!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stoner will still be the SID, right?

12. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

Jeff is a great reporter and better person. When he was moved off U of M hoops, he handled the difficult situation with nothing but class. But that's Jeff.

Best of luck with the new gig. What a huge loss for the STrib.

Draft saved Draft deleted