1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Reardon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Aug 12, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Can you paste the story so those not registered can view it, please?
  3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Or you could go to Bug Me Not.

Or you could get a free registration to help a fellow newspaper person.

But don't let us put you out.
  4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's really long, so I'll paste the first part.

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Laughter here is rare. Real smiles, the kind that make their way into the grief-weary eyes of Jeff and Phebe Reardon, come infrequently, most often brought on by a memory, an escape to a more bearable time.

On this muggy Florida afternoon, the Reardons sit in Jeff's trophy room surrounded by memories. Pictures and awards line the shelves: photos of a world champion closer, mobbed by his teammates on the mound two decades ago; of that same black-bearded pitcher, with the Boston Red Sox, hoisted onto the shoulders of Roger Clemens after breaking the all-time record for saves; of a young, smiling couple, a slight brunette and her broad-shouldered husband, pointing to the Metrodome crowd after Game 7, a crowd they will return to next weekend for the 20th anniversary of the Twins' 1987 world championship.

Now, finding that joy is almost impossible. It comes for a moment, in another memory, one that brings life to their eyes - the thought of a little boy, 4 years old, being tipped upside down by Bert Blyleven, the candy he had just stuffed into his tiny pockets spilling out onto the clubhouse floor.

For a moment, the joy lingers, but the smiles are quickly replaced by reality. That little boy, who would have been 24 this December, is gone. The memory that brought them comfort only seconds ago now reminds them only of their pain.
  5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Good story, but it's been done quite a few times already. Real Sports on HBO did it several months ago, and I'm pretty sure I read a lengthy feature in at least one of the Florida papers, too.
  6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

... has never been in my kitchen.
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was actually already registered -- from the I-35W bridge collapse. I just figured it'd get more play, but I didn't realize it was that long.

That's definitely a solid read. I knew he was hopped up on all those medicines and his son had died, but I had no clue things got that bad. I saw him on an interview with Fran Healy. I'm not sure when it took place, but Reardon was saying how horrible it was for him to leave Minnesota in '89; not only because his closing duties were limited, but because it felt like home to him.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't lie Zeke.

You found this story b/c you have a search engine that finds any mentions to Bert Blyleven in the day's news.
  9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Boston Globe also did an excellent Reardon piece a few months back.

In that story, at least, he sounded completely destroyed.
  11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The death of a child is one of the more horrible things I can imagine.
  12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tired, old, oft-recounted story.
Draft saved Draft deleted