1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman's new tome "Boys will be Boys"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Davey Johnson thinks "nobody" was rooting for the Mets in 1986, he clearly didn't hear the screams from my house during Game 6.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very good interview in Gelf.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Earlier in the thread it said Pearlman did not speak to Irvin (he did), but the guy it appears he did not talk to for this (and who comes off as the biggest asshole of all) is Jimmy Johnson. Also not sure if Sanders talked to him, but I'm not up to the point where he joins the team yet.

Addicting read. For me, better than "Bad Guys" but not as good as "Love me, Hate me."

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That's because Bayless is too much of a celeb now. I've never hated a "journalist" more than I hate Skip Bayless. The man's biases are worse than Stephen A Smith's. He's a fucking joke in my book.

Back on topic: I actually would like to read this book. I might not like some of the stories of my beloved Cowboys' antics, but it should be a fun read.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Reading it now. Jerry Jones strikes me as a tragic figure.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How so?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I get the feeling, and I could be totally wrong about this (wouldn't be the first time, either), that all he ever wanted was to own a NFL team and feel like his input mattered to the coaches. Once the 'Boys started experiencing success, Jimmy Johnson took all the credit and tried to paint Jones as an inept imbecile to the assistant coaches and players.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

on a completely different note, which blind man designed the cover jacket?

and one other thing, in the deadspin excerpt, the time references are based on Super Bowl XXX and Super Bowl XXVII

Unfortunately, I tend to operate on a Gregorian calendar.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Based on some drafts after Johnson left, I think The Hairdo might have been right.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pretty clearly, Jones had some outstandingly awful post-Johnson drafts. I just think that in Jones, Johnson had an owner who was willing to do anything and everything to make his coach happy. Would it really have hurt Johnson to share some of the glory?

Jones has tried to rekindle the success he experienced with Johnson with five coaches, tried to rekindle that partnership, only to come up snake eyes.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's easy to see there were two giant egos. Both were too proud to admit how much they needed one another.

Jones needed Johnson to run his one system and to somehow continue to look the other way as these guys did some deviant stuff away from the field. Johnson needed a tolerant owner like Jones (i.e., pay them what they want and put up with the nasty headlines and nastier rumors) for his checkbook.

Jones isn't the owner he thinks he is. And Jimmy Johnson is another example of I-run-one-system-and-run-it-well (See his idiotic attempt to turn Dan Marino into a handoff machine in Miami). Not a great coach. Yes, he won Super Bowls and national championships, but show me someone who can make use of great players and adjust his schemes. That's a great coach.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I heard Perlman on Dan Patrick's show last week (forgive me for listening to DP, but that was little else on and I really didn't want to dig into the CD stash on the way to work) and there are a zillion Haley stories. Perlman talked with Irvin about the book, but there were a few things that Irvin wouldn't discuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted