1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman's new tome "Boys will be Boys"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Click the hyper link there. It takes you to Pearlman's column about John Rocker. Pearlman calls himself that.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Actually, Rocker calls him that.

I'm buying this book right now.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think he wrote about the gay rumors for the paper. It was in his book that came out after the 1995 season. Bayless is so ridiculous at the beginning of that book too as well. He wrote something like, "All I can do is pray, and write everything I know." And the inside flap begins with a reference to Aikman confronting Bayless about the gay rumors.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. I never buy these types of books and I HATED those Cowboys with a major passion, but I might need to snag this bad boy on a road trip. Looks completely fascinating.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have this image of some parent or grandparent in Plano, not knowing what's contained in the book, buying it for a 13 or 14-year-old boy who is a big Cowboys fan.

It makes me laugh. Well, smirk.

6. Small Town Guy

If you hate the Cowboys, you should also get Bayless's "God's Coach: The hymns, hype, and hypocricy of Tom Landry's Cowboys," which totally eviscerates Landry, and "Hell-Bent: The crazy Truth about the win or else Dallas Cowboys." That's the gay Aikman one.

He also wrote The Boys, but that's probably not as enjoyable for Cowboy haters because it covered their 1992 Super Bowl season.The only problem with those, of course, is that you'll have to wade through 600 pages of Skip Bayless.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I love the assistant's quote here:

Michael Irvin financed a Cowboys charity basketball team called the Hoopsters that had its own private plane, which was mostly used to hold airborne orgies, with Irvin dictating who should be fucking who. “There was nothing Mike couldn’t think of,” said his assistant. “He had quite the imagination.”

Some people just have an eye for these things. It's a gift, really.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wait ... you mean my favorite offensive pro football player in history isn't the guy I've always thought he was back when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls when I was 8?

9. Aikman is married and has kids right?
    I know, I know that doesn't mean anything...
    But where did Bayless get his info? Or was there info just speculation on Bayless' part? The Dallas Moring News SE who called it irresponsible on Bayless' pat - why?
    Was he the only one who "reported" (I'm using the very loosely) it?
    Does Bayless stand by this or did he ever apologize?

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In the early Nineties I was in the Florida Panhandle writing a travel story, at a resort where Jerry Jones had a place. More than one person told me Jones flew down there regularly for some dirty fun with the team's cheerleaders.

11. Small Town Guy

I think my copy of the book is buried in a box still sitting in my parents's basement, but from what I remember, the speculation was basically based on Bayless's imagination and "whispers," about Aikman, the same type of rumors and whispers that basically surround any male athlete/actor/singer who isn't married or seen at clubs banging everything in a skirt. Basically they were completely made up. I think Bayless wrote that he'd personally seen Aikman surrounded by lots of women at a club, so maybe he wasn't gay but, hey, you never know... or something ridiculous like that. Aikman spoke to him for the book and told Bayless he wasn't gay. Of course, how was he supposed to prove that, bring over a woman and sleep with her in front of Skip?

I don't think Bayless ever apologized or anything, nor do I think he really stood by his reporting. He was just putting it out there, just reporting what he'd heard. That was his defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted