1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman's marathon training song list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Listening to talk radio when you are running? Dear God man. I would run myself right into traffic if that was the case.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Seconded.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I didn't say I was listening to Rush (the talk-show host, not the band.) :)

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

But still, the concept of listening to talk radio when you are running. I prefer to listen to music that gets me fired up. Maybe you get your jollies listening to talk radio. You can have it.

5. Clever username

Maybe it's just me, but I like to listen to my breathing. Something about hearing it rather than feeling it helps me gauge how I'm feeling so much better.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The good thing about music is that it can steady your breathing. It's something I am noticing. When a song comes on with a driving beat, I can settle my breathing to match the tune and it helps. Plus, then there's a song by Twista called "Heartbeat" that could kill someone with the beat itself. Here's the song:
    (NSFW, lyrics and the print on the YouTube video)

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i never run with music

the chirping birds and the wind in the trees and the babbling stream and the sound of my asics crunching through the leaves ... that's all the music i need

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Second this. Be here now. Disconnect the music and embrace the solitude, or risk a BAD case of ADD/ADHD.

Plus, I hate the sound quality in earbud headphones, which are the only ones you can use when running; I'd rather not sweat all over my Sennheiser DJ phones that cover most of my head.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Listening to talk radio when I'm running along doesn't seem strange to me at all. When you're running with a friend, you're talking most of the time and you don't make your friend sing, do you? :) My Walkman has seven FM presets and seven AM presets, so I never listen to a commercial. When I'm really pushing on a run, I might listen more to music than talk.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Holy crap, does that list suck.

I wouldn't want to be in the same room while most of those songs were playing, much less try to get motivated by them.

I usually just watch sports while running. Used to take my portable CD player in and put on some Slipknot or Pantera or Down, which was fine when no one else was there. But it seemed to scare the mothers and children (and a few random adults) who occasionally made their way to the complex's workout facility.

11. Clever username

Friends?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Do you have access to a rifle and a bell tower?

Draft saved Draft deleted