1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman's marathon training song list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Fun to look at:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/071116

Most of those don't do it for me, though some do ("Highway to Hell" being one).

My cardio workouts are fueled by, among others, "Move" by Ludacris, "Right Now" by Van Halen, "Bleed American" by Jimmy Eat World, "For Whom the Bell Tolls," by Metallica, "Long Way Down" by the Goo Goo Dolls, "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who, and for the cheese factor, the "Hoosiers" movie theme music.

There's a few others, too. I'll have to dig up the iPod later and list some more.

Others?

2. Next on espn.com
    Jeff Pearlman's Grocery List.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Born to Run seems appropriate. I never run with (or have owned an iPod), but when I'm listening to music on the Walkman while running, it's usually the classic rock station.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

My running/lifting list as follows:

1. Enter Sandman (Metallica)
    2. No More Sorrow (Linkin Park)
    3. Whiplash (Motorhead/Metallica cover)
    4. The Hellion/Electric Eye (Judas Priest)
    5. Step Up (Drowning Pool)
    6. More Human than Human (White Zombie)
    7. Breed (Nirvana)
    8. Good Mourning/Black Friday (Megadeth)
    9. Hey Man, Nice Shot (Filter-live)
    10. Sick of Life (Godsmack)
    11. The Hand that Feeds (Nine Inch Nails)
    12. The Journey/Spiral (Godsmack)
    13. Master of Puppets (Metallica)
    14. Master of Puppets (Trivium - cover of above)
    15. Releasing the Demons (Godsmack)
    16. Conflict (Disturbed)
    17. Whatever (Godsmack)
    18. Painkiller (Judas Priest)
    19. Violence Fetish (Disturbed)
    20. Living in Sin (Godsmack)
    21. Bleed it Out (Linkin Park)
    22. The Beautiful People (Marilyn Manson)
    23. Dyers' Eve (Metallica)
    24. All My Life (Foo Fighters)
    25. Changes (Godsmack)

I would have listed more, but Pearlman left his at 25, so I shall follow suit. As you can tell, I enjoy listening to songs that make me feel happy as a lark while working out. ;)

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I can understand the appeal of listening to music while running, especially on long training runs, but my senses get all messed up when I have headphones on (or ear buds in). I'd rather listen to my own thoughts than get hit by a car.

6. ondeadline

As long as you don't turn it up too loudly, you can definitely hear the traffic around you fine. Unless I'm running with somebody, I'm always running with a Walkman and have never had trouble. I also listen to a lot of sports talk, so I guess that helps as well.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

ondeadline, and iPod will change your life. You'll wonder how you ever went without one. I used to be a Walkman user, too, but I have since seen the light.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I also don't like carrying anything or having anything strapped to me. I guess listening to music while I'm running is just not for me.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I never trained with an IPod because I was always running with my cross country team or lifting in a gym that has pump up music. Now that I don't run for a team any longer, I got an arm band for my IPod and I listen to it on every run. If you listen to the right songs, it can get you into a rhythm which is awesome on longer runs.

My playlist when I work out includes...

- "Weatherman" by Jim Jones, Lil Wayne, Stack Bundles/
    (NSFW lyrics)
    - "Pin the Tail" by Jim Jones, Cam'Ron, Juelz Santana/
    (NSFW lyrics)
    - "Set it Off" by Audioslave/

- "Cochise" by Audioslave/

- "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine/

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Nice selection in Cochise, Mayfly

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I enjoy to listen to it right as I am about to hit a heavy bench set. That intro gets me pumped and then when that first note hits, I start cranking out the set.

12. ondeadline

I clip my Walkman to the side of my running shorts and it's so light that I don't notice it much. Maybe I'll give an iPod a try one of these days. The thing is, I like to listen to talk radio some while I'm running as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted