1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman: SJ.com is for loosers!!11!!11!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I wish I knew 1% of what you are talking about. The other board, the outing on Twitter. No clue and I'm afraid to ask.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't be afraid but, well, yeah, don't ask either. Unless you have plenty of advil nearby.

There has never, as far as I've been told through three owners, been a "rule" about PMs. It is like an email, a letter, whatever. Send at your own risk, it becomes the property of the receiver. Now, I think posting what someone sends you privately is not something anyone should do. If I've done it over 16 years here, it has been rare and likely without thinking (and I apologize if that's the case). But no one has ever told me about it being a rule.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, I also thought it was a rule. I agree that it shouldn't be done, but it is good to know the actual rules.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between an obviously private PM from a good person who would like a bit of confidence and someone writing you something vile. Why should the latter expect you to be bound by some code? There's a collection of unhinged PMs from a certain poster that circulates like a battered old copy of Faces of Death. Good. You heap that amount of shit on people, it's going to come out eventually, and you should have no expectation that it won't. But if someone comes to you with sincerity about something personal, it would be pretty awful to post that anywhere.

Not all PMs are equal, is what I'm trying to marblemouth.

Stoney likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like getting out of the rat race wasn't the solution, either.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fuck him. I'm tired of his Eddie Haskell act.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was mentioned as a rule previously:

Posting Private Emails and Messages Without the Author's Permission

This is an invasion of privacy, possibly unlawful, and members who violate this will be subject to the disciplinary process.

New rules and guidelines

lcjjdnh likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I see it now. Right below personal atracks

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is there any chance this can be handled with the offending poster rather than locking the thread?

To be clear, I'm talking about Dickie, not YF. I think discussions of matters such as board policy and board history are good for SJ.com.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, it can't. Fuck him. And you should be above kissing his ass.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Pretty awful to ignore it as well.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That needs to be revised because it is not an invasion of privacy. I send it to you, it is yours to do with as you wish. Now if someone goes in and posts an email/PM of YOURS without permission, I can see it. But you posted stuff sent to you? I'd love to see that come to court as an invasion of privacy.

Bottom line: you shouldn't do it because it is a shitty thing to do. But while it is indeed a written rule, I've never been told about it or told to enforce it. I don't think any of the others have either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.