1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman: SJ.com is for loosers!!11!!11!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like Jeff's musings for the most part and follow him on FB and Twitter and I thought this was ... humorous? He's self-deprecating in this bumper.

Another former longtimer here commented on Jeff's FB thread about it and said this joint has become nothing but a hangout for looser law school dropouts and douchy coffee machine repairmen.

Basically said SJ used to be cool but now it sucks:

Yes, I used to go to sportsjournalists.com and post anonymously about myself. So?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Aren't you burying the lead? The open admission of posting about himself?

And Jeff, there is a difference between a message board and a chat room; they're not the same.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's true. SJ is much like the Big 10 in that it still carries the name but is no longer what it was and isn't even 10 anymore.

Things change.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There's no profit in it anymore.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What the fuck is Bumpers?

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't know. But with the way he was talking about it on his Twitter feed, he may have an 80 percent stake in it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think it's like Hooters.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the place has largely picked up again. I come here for the knowledgeable sports chatter, honestly. The knowledgeable political chatter is a bonus.

There are definitely some epochs here:

• The early years dominated by Boom, BYH, IJAG, MizzouGrad, 21, etc. The place was, honestly, a blast back then. The humor was edgy and sharp. Most posters were in the business. People "got it," for lack of a better way to put it. A lot of posters here now wouldn't have liked it. Lots and lots of what we considered good-natured needling back then and now gets hit with the "T" word.
    • The Dark Ages, when the Good Doctor and his merry band of assholes showed up and treated it as a pre-Twitter inroad to fellating famous people. They did not like being needled.
    • The Civil War years. The place was slow. It wasn't just Doc's fault, though, or the exodus of talent like 21 and BYH. It took awhile for people to get used to running threads, for example. Social media's advent also did a number on the traffic here. Plus, you had new owners every few years showing up and throwing their weight around and banning pretty established practices.
    • The status quo. I like it. I like every poster here, really, except one. Unfortunately that poster changes the temperature of the room when he enters it. I even like OOP. The guy knows his sports. He's just unnecessarily abrasive.
    Some people say I'm a troll. That's come back now after being gone for a while. Mostly due to said poster who changes the temperature of the room. (I'm not. I'm just a guy who likes to talk ball with people.) Obviously Double J was one of them, and he didn't like me when he was still here, and continues to blame me and YF for what he sees as the downfall of this place. I never understood it. Never had an issue with the guy. Eh, whatever. Three Bags doesn't like me, either. I don't mind him, except for his Cubs allegiance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Donny in his element and lcjjdnh like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

BYH is talented?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't know about him, but that BYH2 guy is pretty good.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

This site was great when it was part of the colon health network.

dixiehack and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.