1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman on Walter Payton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

Jeff Pearlman on Walter Payton. Fascinating, well-researched article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190867/1/index.htm

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Probably another example of Pearlman failing to interview the subject... :D

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's a book excerpt. Easy pickings for bottom feeder Pearlman.
    Floparoo alert. Scum, thy name is Jeff.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Uh, oh, I wish I had read this before getting that giant back tattoo of Payton with ''SWEETNESS" above it. That may have been a mistake.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This really is an indication of the miserable existence Pearlman leads.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Albert Goldman of sports.

Or, the Bizarro-Albom.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't get the comments about Pearlman. I thought the excerpt was very good.

8. LongTimeListener

There is something wrong with a person who sets out to destroy the good reputation of a dead man.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good point. We're not dealing with Kirby Puckett.

As for Pearlman, while this is good stuff in a salacious and morbidly interesting kind of way, all I can think of now when I see his name is that political rant he posted on his blog a while back.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't get the concept of a "good man" being exempt from a book with salacious details of his life if they are true.

When Selena Roberts did A Rod book it was much celebrated.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm not shocked when somebody with a highly positive public reputation (see Puckett) turns out to be a not-so-good guy behind the scenes, but to do it only after they're dead seems pretty chickenshit.

Not to mention pointless. Expose the sleazebags while they're still alive, and a) they can fight back, and b) it is POSSIBLE (although unlikely) they might modify their behavior.

12. LongTimeListener

I don't know about celebrated. It was certainly talked about because of the roids. But A-Rod is still playing, still a public figure, and still alive to set the record straight if he so chooses. Payton slipped away to a private life that was not without its flaws but was also, again, private. So he and his wife stayed together but lived seemingly separate lives -- shocking!

A writer devoting a portion of his life to a subject like this says so much more about the writer than it does about the subject.

Draft saved Draft deleted