1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman Not Renewed As Student Advisor To College Newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Apr 12, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What a sensitive guy.
    Not mocking him, but he just seems to scream delicacy at every turn.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Delicacy is pretty low on the list of tools needed in the reporter's toolbox.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two semesters after finding out he was unceremoniously dumped as the school’s unpaid student newspaper adviser, an adjunct journalism professor is moving on from Manhattanville College.

Jeff Pearlman started advising The Touchstone in fall 2011. Last fall, as he was making plans for a third semester, the student editor-in-chief was the first to relay the news that things had changed in the newsroom, Pearlman said. She told him a new adviser had been chosen and that the office was cleaned out, he said.

Despite meetings with school leaders, Pearlman said he never got a clear, definite answer as to why he was replaced.

Pearlman, a Sports Illustrated writer and a New York Times bestselling author, touched on his removal in a blog post in early September. But it wasn’t until Pearlman published another post in March that the situation gained much notice.

Pearlman said he contemplated publishing the post for some time, but in the end felt it would be hypocritical not to use writing the way he’d taught his students to do.

“I feel like I’ve always encouraged my students to sort of write truthfully — it’s sort of one of the tenets of journalism,” Pearlman said. “If you see something that’s sort of an injustice or wrong, it’s worth writing about.”

Now, with the spring semester behind him, Pearlman has left the school completely. He taught his last class last week.

“I probably shouldn’t have come back this year because I never really got over it,” Pearlman said. “It is the reason I’m moving on. One hundred percent.”

http://www.splc.org/news/newsflash.asp?id=2570

4. Did Pearlman actually advise his students?

Draft saved Draft deleted