1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman finds Sports by Brooks, scraps article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Yet it’s perfectly on brand at the same time.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It reminded me of the Thompson piece on Elvis Grbac, replete with twist Shyamalan ending.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I dunno if it should have been killed for the ethical reasons he implied. But it certainly should have been killed because it doesn't go anywhere. Brooks M disappeared. Pearlman set out to find him. He didn't find him.

It teases something and then gives absolutely no payoff for investing yourself in it.

Col. Nathan R. Jessup likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It makes me appreciate Van Valkenburg's story on Adam Muema that much more. It was the story that put literary hair on Kevin's chest.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Agree. Overwritten, and much ado about nothing.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I’m unsure why the need for the story of him crapping his pants in a press box.

Oddity. I suppose I grew up three blocks from Melchior. Parents had the same hang ups on public schools.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sports by Brooks. The Amelia Earhart of bloggers.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I thought Amelia Earhart was the Sports by Brooks of world explorers.

Twirling Time and GBNF like this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Pearlman is an individual who has blogged about his stools. He appears to have a real interest in defecation.
    https://jeffpearlman.com/2015/05/30/poop/

These things were intended to be read by people. There's no need wasting everyone's time.

10. I think Pearlman wrote the story pretty well, in that I kept reading and was entertained throughout. But, as others noted, it went nowhere. Probably for the best that it was shelved.

And yeah, WTF at the pants-shitting anecdote?

Sports By Brooks is back on Twitter, but I don’t know if he’s even given a real explanation as to where he went, why he left and why he returned.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's not funny. A few paragraphs later, the story says he has Chron's disease.
    That's like saying he's alleged to have convulsed while watching an amazing play and adding a bit later that he has epilepsy.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Pearlman’s writing is overwritten and full of unnecessary details that add nothing to the narrative. He sucks. And he can @ me here on any of his 17 sportsjournalists.com burner accounts

Draft saved Draft deleted