1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman calls University of Delaware racist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 20, 2007.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

To quote Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar, who summed up the state of Delaware best: "Hey look, we're in Delaware!"

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Delaware State used to be at the very bottom of the MEAC until a few years ago like you said. They started to play each other in basketball in 1991, but Delaware was better and it was always a wash. Delaware State has drastically improved and they have been in the NCAA Tournament a few times over the past couple of years. The football team is getting better and last year, Delaware State made the playoffs and Delaware did not. If anything, Delaware State is getting better than Delaware in several major sports and Delaware has taken a hit, but has improved in other sports such as; lacrosse and field hockey.

Delaware doesn't want the game due to the higher up administration having some sort of grudge against the Delaware State folks. I don't know what it is, but it shouldn't be there. In terms of one team not wanting to lose to another, I believe that goes for I-A playing the sub-division (well, look at Michigan) or the sub-division playing DII. It's more of a pride thing than anything else I feel, but it shouldn't keep the two teams from playing.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

i.e. sports that don't count.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You can say that, but then you might get a whole lot of Delaware football fans who broke their ankles while jumping off the bandwagon and joining the lacrosse one angry at ya. But true, Delaware State is getting better at Delaware in the major sports, predominately football and basketball. In baseball, Delaware still clobbers the Hornets, but that is changing as well. Delaware State is getting the players that are shunned by the University of Delaware. Regardless, they should play in more sports than they do. Pearlman just jumped off the deep end trying to bring race into this. Tresolini might even get some people angry at him due to his comments.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where would they play the game? You have to play it in Newark. What "neutral" site is there in the state that would be big enough to host the game? What are you gonna do, play the game on Rehoboth Beach in late September?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

CAPE HENLOPEN HIGH SCHOOL BABY!!!!!!

Why not? They had the Blue-Gold game there a couple years ago.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Delaware Stadium is the largest place that could hold that many people. 22,000 plus, figuring that many people would show to the game. If they played on Rehobeth Beach, they just gotta watch out for the people who like seeing men run around in tight football pants.

I don't know if you saw in the article, but on the Delaware football message board that Pearlman mentioned in his article, they are having a field day over there with it. Here are a couple of threads...

http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4360

http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4357

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where is it in relation to the schools?

Delaware Stadium has 22,000 seats. Presumably, a game of this magnitude would draw at least that much. You're gonna play it in a small high school stadium?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Second link lost me about four posts in when the guy complained about there being no WET, since there's BET.

Sorry, fly.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Cape Henlopen is in the bottom of the state, down near Rehobeth. It's a larger high school stadium, but then the argument could be made that the home field advantage goes to Delaware State. They should just play it in the middle of a cornfield in Middletown. Sounds like the beginning of a bad horror movie.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nah, it's just the high school at the beach you mentioned. I didn't really mean it. You'd have to play it at Delaware Stadium.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

No worries wicked. Just wanted to post those links so people could see what others are saying out of the sports journalist world. It is on a fan boy message board, but it helps to have other views as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted