1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman calls University of Delaware racist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 20, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

OK, I agree it would've been good to have more supporting quotes in the story. Definitely. But once I saw that Pearlman went to Delaware, I wasn't as upset about it. First off, who knew he went to Delaware? Second, who better to comment about the issue that a guy who was right in the middle of it.

It sounds as if this goes all the way to the top of the food chain at Delaware. But in 2007, it really is disgusting. Kudos to Jeff for having the guts to write it.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Headbutt, I will agree with you that people have differing views during and after the summer season. It is VASTLY different.

3. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

My parents have worked at HBCUs for roughly 40 years. I can tell you that I've never been around a black school that wasn't looked down upon by the white schools around it except for Morehouse, and Morehouse probably wouldn't get the same props if it weren't for MLK's presence on the list of prestigious alumni.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ace, goog line, but Delaware has been one of the top 1-AA programs for the last 30 years, under the great Tubby Raymond.

On a more general note, pPlaying Delaware State, until recently, was a no-win situation for them.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pearlman is also the guy who wrote, without qualification, that Rocco Baldelli was a "budding Joe DiMaggio" in an SI profile of then-failed prospect Josh Hamilton. Perspective has never been Pearlman's strong suit.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. Because Tubby ducked any I-AA opponent that had a shot in hell to upset UDee.

I always loved that it took Delaware all of two years to win the national title after his departure.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm not going to say racism doesn't play a factor, but it is not uncommon for the big dog in most states to not play smaller, in-state rivals. Kentucky wouldn't play Louisville for years in basketball. That might have been racial at first - Louisville integrated before Kentucky - but it continued for a long time and a lot of it is institutional arrogance. Rutgers wouldn't play Seton Hall in basketball for a long time in the 50s and 60s. UCLA plays BYU but not San Diego State. It's a question of trying to keep a recruiting advantage.

Another thing is, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for a long time Delaware State was not at the top of the MEAC. From the articles and information on the thread, it seems Delaware State might be improving.

Bigger schools will give smaller schools a shot usually only if they are certain they have more than a 90 percent chance of winning. It's the reality of college sports.

My feeling is if Delaware State wants the game and Delaware doesn't, if enough people write about it something will happen because Delaware (my niece is an alum, and that's about all I know of Delaware) will eventually seen as being scared. The problem is that Delaware is such a small state, there really isn't anything natural about having a lot of publicity.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Fun Fact: Tubby Raymond is the father of the Philly Phanatic, Dave Raymond.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tubby Raymond always felt that the winged T was the white man's offense.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tubby Raymond says his politics are to the right of Genghis Khan.

Just saying.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was always thought that Davey Nelson wrote the rules of college football to keep the black man down.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted