1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Passan joining ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John B. Foster, Dec 31, 2018.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm very happy Jeff Passan's at ESPN now. I really enjoyed his work at Yahoo!

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's one of the things that makes me a little skeptical about The Athletic as a destination. Some of those guys will go from a million readers to the tens of thousands. You can tell yourself that doesn't matter, and I imagine lots of guys don't care so long as the cheques cash. But some writers want to be read.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Don’t kid yourself — all writers want to be widely read.

You bring up a good point, though. At a time when journos are hyper focused on building their brand, it is somewhat surprising that so many are willing to go behind a hard paywall with far fewer readers than before.

But hey, if you can work remotely, don’t have to write on deadline and the money is right, maybe that’s more important. I can’t say I disagree with that.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Late to the praise party, but agreed on Jeff. I’ve only worked around him a few times but seeing the way he really drills in an interview stuck with me. He just goes deeper and deeper and deeper, long after my instinct would have told me “good enough. And he finds something cool no one else knew.

Too dumb to ever introduce myself, but I definitely learned something.

Draft saved Draft deleted