1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Mathis avoids arbitration - $1.7 mil for the worst player in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 12, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mathis may be the worst player in baseball but he and his Angels just got jacked by the ump on what should have been a game-ending out at home.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He saved the game a couple of pitches earlier. too, by blocking a ball in the dirt. His block of the plate was vintage Scioscia. Gordon didn't touch the plate until they tumbled over and he put his hand on it, well after being tagged. Tom Hallion blew the call. And I haven't seen Scioscia run so fast in 30 years when he came out to argue.
    However, Walden walked the first two guys in the bottom of the ninth. Not exactly the way to hold a 2-1 lead.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. Walden pretty much gave the Dodgers that win with the two walks.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by the idea of "the worst player in baseball." I mean, obviously that guy exists. I just wonder if it's Jeff Mathis.

I'm not saying it's not. I don't know.

But with Mathis, his wikipedia entry says that last season, the ERA of Angels pitchers was nearly a full point better when he caught compared to Napoli. Can he handle pitchers, at least? Does that make up for, um, nearly everything else that he does (or doesn't) do?

That throw to first is hilarious, by the way. I'm amazed the ball didn't end up in right field. First baseman should get the opposite of an error on the play.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

An admitted Angels fanboi here...

I have always assumed Mathis is very good at handling a pitching staff. Scioscia knows catching, and has continued to use Mathis despite having seemingly much better options.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We went through this discussion last year.
    Mathis can't hit for shit. But, at worst, he is an above-average catcher. And being an above-average catchers certainly disqualifies him from being the worst player in the baseball.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Proof?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

With such a poor batting average I don't understand why he's even in the majors. Times sure have changed. Once upon a time an ERA above 4.00 was enough to get a pitcher sent down.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Ryan Franklin. I know he's not an everyday player, but there isn't a worse pitcher in baseball.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Barry Zito?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Check back to last year's thread. You'll find it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He leads the league in throwing to first base on a stolen base. That's a stat.

Draft saved Draft deleted