1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Mathis avoids arbitration - $1.7 mil for the worst player in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 12, 2011.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I know way too much about this guy thanks to SJ.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't think Scioscia loves Mathis as much as he hates Napoli (especially as a catcher).

The lineup cards and the oral history and the quotes over the years all bear this out in great detail. There were a couple weeks at the start of the season where Mathis was actually hitting well over .300 and I think Napoli started like three times in three weeks, or something truly absurd like that. Then Mathis got hurt, and Morales got hurt, etc. etc., and Napoli got his 26 homers in 400-something ABs.

Mathis, by the way, has 23 homers in just under 1,000 ABs. Oh, and he doesn't walk, and can't get on base as well as Mario Mendoza. Oh, and he's got a .985 fielding percentage as a catcher.

I have absolutely nothing personal against Mathis, but as excellent a manager as Scioscia is, the whole Mathis/Napoli thing has always struck me as a little bizarre.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think Mike represented Mathis in the negotiations.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Only reason Mathis is the worst player in baseball is because Chris Duncan's gone.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Every time I've seen Napoli and his power I wonder why he's not playing every day.

6. poindexter

He threw down to first base tonight... as a dodger was stealing second base.

Remember, he's the defensive whiz

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

But Shelly Duncan is alive and (not hitting) well. The worst player in the majors this year is clearly Austin Kearns.

8. poindexter

He's your boy, Scioscia you genius

http://angels.ocregister.com/2011/06/24/jeff-mathis-throws-a-baseball/85619/

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Where the hell is BYH, anyway?

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

And to think my parents taught me that education was the best way to become successful. I should have kept hitting that ball in the back yard.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Kind of like when Doug Rader traded Jim Sundberg straight up for Ned Yost "because Ned Yost is a better player. Period."

Sometimes, personalities just don't mesh.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's a credit to the rookie Trumbo that he wasn't pegged in the side of the noggin by a throw no one other than Mathis would ever expect.

Draft saved Draft deleted