1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff MacGregor on why expanding the Big 10 is stupid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And that the Big Ten should play only every other season, so the fields don't erode.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now THAT'S a liberal agenda!!

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I drive a Prius.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You wanna help? Grab a ladle!

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I learned a few things. Thought it was overwritten and flawed.

But it sure sounded pretty.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Rutgers is THE No. 1 choice...if the commish is stopping at the Big 10+2....

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Jg as edited by the SportsJournalists.com super geniuses.

Why the Big 10 shouldn't expand

By Jeff MacGregor/ESPN

The Big 10 shouldn't expand.

-30-

Isn't the point of being a columnist to turn a phrase, to make a point, to get people talking?
    It looks to me that he did all those things and then some.
    He tied the Big 10 expansion into a larger story about America.
    Whoa and in doing so he fulfilled his mission as a columnist.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So asskissing is preferable to having an opinion on what is posted here? Should we just ban all works by talented writers because anyone who takes issue with what is written is obviously a jealous hack?

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Yep, he turned many phrases.... So many that I stopped reading long before I got to the end of the column.

I might give it another go later to see if I can discover his point.

Oh yes. The Big Ten shouldn't get bigger because bigger isn't always better.

Tremendous insight.

Save for the fact that the Big Ten isn't looking to get bigger for the sole purpose of getting bigger.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No, the Big 1(11)0 is looking to get bigger by expanding into the NYC TV market by taking in Rutgers.
    It is purely about money, nothing more.

And, I think, if you put your work out there, having people look at it critically is part of the gig. The problem with here is that the feuds continue, just one-sided.
    Was the column a heart breaking work of staggering genius? No. But not everything is going to be perfect everytime. I'd take JG's average over mine just about any day of the week.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I thought the column was well-written, an easy and quick read. He makes some good points about bigger not always being better.

However, he never does say why adding a 12th team to the Big 10 would make it worse from an athletics standpoint. It seems the SEC and Big 12 did OK with expansion.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

4000 sq ft seems awfully small for a house with 7 bathrooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted