1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff MacGregor on why expanding the Big 10 is stupid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Terrific column.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=4754157

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Awesome.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

All it lacked for some sort of official old crank award would be the obligatory "Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!"

Seriously, what a bunch of crap. Whether you agree or disagree with the Big Ten expanding, it's got absolutely nothing to do with 4,000 square foot houses.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's three minutes of my life I won't get back.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How about ESPN Jeff - think that is too big also?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree that it is a great read. Forget the sentiment, the writing alone is worth the time.
    The Big 10 took the first leap when they let in another team. When you are willing to scar your brand like that - I don't care whether the extra team was Penn State, Notre Dame or USC - subsequent tweaks are that much more easily digested.
    They already trashed the "midwestern" roots of their conference bringing in Penn State, they may as well go all the way and bring in Hooters State - Pompano Beach. And there isn't anything "big" about most of the out of conference teams brought in during football season.
    You think the Ivy League couldn't raise some cash by admitting a couple more colleges? They don't, because Ivy League still means something.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Wow ... Hard to understand the vitriol here.

What makes great column writing? Turns of phrase, concise writing, sticking to your guns, having one point. The man is a master. His writing is melodic -- and yeah maybe the lyrics are a little angry, but so were Kurt Cobain's.

Maybe I'll get hassled because this isn't the Writer's Workshop, but look at the way the man writes. His argument be damned and to hell with whether or not you agree with him.

"Long thought of as the conference of earnest ham-necked farm boys, lead-footed and dim-witted and grave, smiling shyly, courageous and square-jawed in sepia team photos in their shawl-collar letter sweaters and raccoon coats, the Big Ten has traditionally sold Midwestern toughness, character and simplicity as its main product."

That's writing I can appreciate. And there is not a single person on this board who can't learn something about our craft by reading it.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't read it, did you?

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm sure he can turn 2,000 well-written words on how to make a tuna casserole. Doesn't mean it's interesting beyond the verbiage.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The verbiage was top notch. But I'm not sure I understand what his argument is, which makes this a waste of nice phrases.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Nice imagery in a cumbersome sentence -- the equivalent of using diamonds to build a leaky toilet.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My point exactly. Better stated without dragging tuna casserole into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted