1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff MacGregor on fantasy sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I haven't played FFL for a number of years and Damn - the advancements Yahoo has made are pretty incredible.

They even gave me a draft grade. C+. Damn they're really making it real, having to deal with critics.

C+!!!!?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have we reached the point where people who make a point of not liking fantasy sports, are as insufferable as people who make a big deal about not owning a TV?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

One of the few things I've ever agreed with this writer on.
    I don't see FFLs that far different from World of Warcraft tournaments.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Definitely a statement decision. Perhaps the sports version of vegan.

5. Worked in a newsroom for two years where the two other guys in our area just yammered on about their fantasy football teams every day.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's the problem and perhaps why it gets a bad name. Gotta keep it to yourself.
    No one who does not play wants to hear about it. Like showing vacation photos or
    pictures of your dog or kids.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If you need a barely social 'fantasy league' to enjoy the glory and splendor of pro football, go join a book club.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's one thing to talk among the people you are in a league with. Heck, that's a big part of the reason to play in the first place, but unless somebody plays, they don't want to hear about it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I avoid fantasy football like I avoid crystal meth. Both are all-consuming and I don't have time for either.

10. outofplace

That's not an unfair comparison. :)

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fantasy football works as an enhancement to the game if that's all you want out of it. Know every team's starting QB, RB and two WRs and you'll be OK. Draft prep can consist of picking up a magazine and checking to see that nobody has been injured or arrested for murder. Lineups can take as little as five minutes.

Fantasy baseball is an addiction and the province of the clinically, desperately insane.

12. outofplace

Also true.

You raise a good point. There is a big difference in the time commitment depending on which sport you play the game with. It is also different for different leagues. Some baseball leagues are very basic. Then you get into the ones with daily moves and crazy scoring systems and the time suck gets to be insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted