1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Kent: one of my new favorite baseball players.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 11, 2008.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Nobody said I disagreed with what he said.

I simply stated what most people already know.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

For cryin' out loud, people! An active player that actually has some name recognition stands up and says that there should be stricter testing, and everyone grumbles about ulterior motives. Yeesh. I'm not surprised by this, but good freakin' grief. Appreciate the message if not the messenger.

Anyway, since Mr. Kent isn't exactly the most well-liked player in baseball circles, which players -- and how many -- would be necessary to apply the necessary pressure on the union to implement these measures?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Coming from anybody but you, I'd buy it.

:D

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He's not the first big-name player to say it -- Smoltz, Schilling, Thomas -- and he won't be the last. The current union leadership will have to be overhauled before the MLBPA agrees to such a plan.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I am glad anytime an active player stands up and expresses such sentiments. That said, Jeff Kent is still a douchebag and I have every confidence the only reason he made such a statement is because A) he believe Bonds used HGH or B) KNOWS Bonds used it. I honestly believe his biggest reason for making such a statement is to somehow stick it to Bonds.

As Mizzou pointed out, there were at least several (if not many) who liked Bonds better as a teammate than Kent. Seriously, how does that happen?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That fun with the quote function has supply lines that are long, and hard to sustain.

Anyhoo, Kent is a bitter little pill. Maybe he's doing this in a craven bid to help his Hall of Fame candidacy. I refuse to believe he gives a shit about the state of the game.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Clever, my friend.

And, CI: I don't see your point.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why didn't this guy raise concerns with the union a decade ago? Where has he been?

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's no different than if I went over to the Marion Jones thread and said, "Marion Jones is still hot."

Think I will. ;)

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In Los Angeles, trying to piss away what once was on the right track to a sure Hall-of-Fame career.

Draft saved Draft deleted