1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Jacobs carves up Pat Summitt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 12, 2007.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This is a few days old and, yeah, it concerns women's basketball, but Pat Summitt seems to have stirred up that world by cancelling the Tennessee-UConn series. It certainly stirred up Jacobs. Hope it's not a D-B, but I didn't see anything on it:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jeffcol0609.artjun09,0,5951153.column

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My reaction is, "ummm, so what?" It read like a temper tantrum, perhaps something you'd hear on a local sports call-in show.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

just a tad exaggerated and overreactive, I'd say.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

ditto. a better job would have been to get to the bottom of the alleged reason for the snit -- but then that may have reflected poorly on UConn.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty much yeah... Especially with Gino being the fuzzy, loveable guy he is...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Column was too long ... after about the first page and a half he's basically just repeating himself. That said, I agree with his basic position that she shouldn't kill off the best rivalry in women's sports and if she's going to, it ought to come with an explanation.

And with THAT said, it's one less women's basketball game that I'll have to accidentally flip past.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She shouldn't have to explain anything... it's her right to schedule who she wants...
    what if Tennessee picks up a four year home and home with Duke or Texas instead starting next season. Does that not further the interest of women's hoops?
    That said, I agree with Bigpern's that said...

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I didn't think the column was an over reaction -- not in Connecticut where women's hoops are such a big deal. My problem was that it just kept saying the same thing over and over. OK, you think Summit's a coward. We get it. It read like he was stretching to reach a certain length. Also, way too many one-sentence paragraphs.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but neither Duke nor Texas has the cache that UConn-Tennessee has. And yes, it's her right to schedule who she wants, but as Jacobs said, imagine if Pete Carroll pulled out of playing against ND without an explanation. There'd be a major uproar and the people saying "He can schedule who he wants" would be in the minority. It's a legitimate opinion, just not one that I share. I think she owes to UT and UConn fans to explain.

Agreed.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

When they discussed this on PTI the other day - which was when I first started to think about it - one of the two said it's a good thing because it will force the two teams to play other schools and grow the game. I think, to a degree, that's true, but in a different way. Rather than have the best teams go at it and draw attention to the sport, they're going to take on other teams and, theoretically, make the other teams better, build them up and help it grow.

It doesn't sound like that bad of a deal, should that happen. But it won't.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's a nice theory, but it doesn't really make sense. They only played once a year. I don't see how putting one new team on their schedules -- if they even do that -- is going to significantly grow the sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted