1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jeff green and aortic aneurysm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Dec 18, 2011.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I'm a little late and can't find a thread (probably blind) talking about Jeff Green and his thoracic aortic aneurysm.

Thoracic aortic aneurysms describe ballooning of the aorta as it leaves the heart. In younger people, it is usually a genetic problem and is associated with Marfans syndrome and Ehlers-danlos syndrome. As well, it can be due to a congenital abnormality of the aortic valve, that connects the heart to the aorta.

Interesting errors in the ESPN report. http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7362378/jeff-green-boston-celtics-surgery-season They initially refer to the aneurysm as being in the abdomen instead of the chest and they that also mentions HCM, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a cause of sudden death in athletes. They report that HCM is caused by a viral infection of the heart but in reality it is a gene mutation that causes an abnormal thickening of heart muscle fibers.

And there should be some mention as to the potential risks of surgery to fix the aorta. Complication rates can be as high as 4% for death and 2.5% for stroke or paralysis. Hopefully Mr. Green will do well, but this is not a minor issue.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Interesting, Doc. I did a story on a kid with HCM once, and he could not play sports after it was detected.

But this is different in that a 'fix' can be made?

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It needs to be "fixed" because as the aorta balloons, the blood vessel wall become weak and there is risk of rupturing which is catastrophic and usually fatal.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is this a lot more serious than an abdominal aortic aneurysm? That version has family history with me, so naturally it scared the bejesus of me to hear a 25-year-old athlete's career and life be in jeopardy because of an "aortic aneurysm."

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The concept of the aneurysm is the same. Abdominal aortic aneurysms occur gradually over time adn are often observed until they get llge enough (4.5 to 5cc diameter) to consider elective repair. They can be catastrophic if they are undetected, leak and rupture.

Thoracic aortic aneurysms are different animals and in young patients tend to be genetic annassoicated with aortic valve issues

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But, honestly, will it be safe for him to play after he's recovered from surgery?

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Depends on what they do and what medications he has to take. The goal for most surgeries is to return the patient to full function. This would apply to athletes just as much as to construction workers.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is what killed Bob Forsch.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I believe so.

Draft saved Draft deleted