1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jeff conaway, "bobby wheeler," R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 19, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: jeff conaway in coma

I vaguely remember really liking some medieval show he was on back in the '80s. I think his name was Greystone. I think the show was Might & Magic or Wizards and Warriors or some such nerdy title.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Teh interwebs say it was Wizards and Warriors in 1983. Christ, I was four, I don't even know how I remember that.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It was kind of sketchy how Dick got onto the show. He just arrived out of nowhere in the middle of the season. "Hi, guys, I'm Andy Dick, I've got a huge drinking problem and I'm a fame whore. Can I be on Dr. Drew's show?" It was the season with Steven Adler and Shifty. Dick actually went around L.A. apologizing to people he'd humiliated with his drinking. Then a sitdown with his son, who seemed like a very normal kid. That was pretty uncomfortable to watch. (Yes, if you can't tell, I love the fucking show.)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Taxi is my favorite show of all-time, just ahead of Cheers.

I feel bad for his family, but most of Conaway's life has just been a colossal waste because of drugs and booze.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't watched much, but I hear it talked about a lot and based on the people who have been on, they're willing to let people on who are at best colossal reaches (Uchitel was on for her "love addiction"

So I'm guessing they were thrilled to have Andy Dick there. At least he's a celebrity. For a lot of people on that show you have to be reminded who they are.

"Oh, he was the drummer in that band that had one hit in 1997... Gotcha..."

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Do you really think he'll pull through? Do you really think he'll pull through? Ooh, ooh, oooooooooooh...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I think I saw one episode of that show. The princess from the neighboring kingdom, played by Julia Duffy, just kind of took it for granted they would marry. The one I saw, she badgers him into going on a picnic. She pulled a quiche out of the basket and he said, "You know I can't eat that stuff!"

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

They did find the Tom Sizemore girlfriend/assistant or whatever she is...all is fine. Well, relatively fine, I suppose. She does associate with Tom Sizemore.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/tom-sizemores-missing-girlfriend-found/story?id=13604736

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think of the other issues that Drew struggles with is that even though he's one of the better doctors out there when it comes to addiction, the chances of a "cure" are still incredibly, incredibly low. I can't remember the exact number he said on Loveline at one point, but it was something like 1-in-8 heroin addicts recover, while the rest die of symptoms from it eventually.

It doesn't mean he shouldn't try to help people or that they shouldn't try to get and stay clean, but failure and relapse are unfortunately common occurrences in all of these programs. Also, like dieting, there are tons of "just stop eating!" and "I have a miracle cure!" people out there muddying the waters.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think he does care about these people, but understand the criticism. He even admitted in his book that he's a narcissist -- a clinical one charged with treatment of other narcissists. Pinsky would be making money in his field even if he weren't dealing with celebrities. As what they say about character being what you are when nobody's watching, I think the same works for sobriety.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Man, who knows what would have happened if Kanicky didn't get concussed by the car door and ended up winning that race. Maybe his career would have been John Travolta's.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I watched Rehab when he was on it - seemed to have a co-dependent girlfriend. Drew got him clean for a few days and it was like you didn't recognize Conaway (or maybe you finally DID recognize Conaway). He relapsed later in the season and made a sad/awkward appearance at a TV Land awards.

Draft saved Draft deleted