1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Blake's parabolic arc bombs to Week 8 of the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Re: Jeff Blake's parabolic arch bombs to Week 8 of the NFL

Phillip Rivers. He's had to play with about four different players at center, his offensive line is bad overall, and the Chargers' best running back is out for the season. Yet he's playing some of his best football in a long time.

Of course, I'd certainly understand those who back Rodgers, Luck and Murray.

Not sure if I'd pick Watt as the Texans don't look like a playoff team, but Watt is way ahead of everyone else for Defensive Player of the Year.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Wasn't there a time in which people wondered if Gary Kubiak was the right guy to run the offense? Sure appear now that he's the right guy for the job.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You left off the best game of the weekend: Detroit @ Atlanta. Mainly because of it's start time--9:30 ET. Enjoy a little football with your breakfast and kickoff a 14 hour marathon of NFL football.

Also omitted one of the bigger games of the weekend--Philadelphia and Arizona.

Finally, three in state match-ups this week, Miami-Jax, KC - St Louis, and Buffalo - NY Jets

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They should do the early game with all London games. I love it. I'm just upset I'm going to be traveling Sunday morning. I'd feel like I was on the West Coast again, wake up to football.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then pair it with a late-night West Coast game like the Raiders and Chargers played last season when the A's were still in the playoffs. Once a year, do a "24 hours of the NFL" thing (or close to it) and go from 9:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Take note, London Jaguars 2017.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes, but also Matt Schaub sucked last year. Fitzpatrick's been better but not a top QB and Andre Johnson is getting old. Ravens last two W's came against garbage defenses.

8. Re: Jeff Blake's parabolic arch bombs to Week 8 of the NFL

Al Robinson compares Cowher/Donahue drafts with Tomblin/Colbert drafts.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6900630-96/tomlin-cowher-draft

Wanna guess which ones were categorically better?

I'm not sure how much of the blame of the drafts go to the coaches. Some sure. I think Donahue was/is heads and shoulders better at personnel management than Colbert.

As Cowher's players got older and the more recent drafts failed to yield star players, the Steelers have gotten worse. Though I think that is starting to change with the addition of Bell, Brown and hopefully Shazier.
    As the article notes, several of Tomblin's drafted guys - Wallace, Sanders, Lewis - are playing with other teams.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty cool interactive U.S. map (by county) displaying every NFL team's reach based on Twitter activity. Not scientific obviously, but fun to look at:

https://interactive.twitter.com/nfl_followers2014/#?mode=team&team=all

Pretty amazing how much territory the Broncos cover (and how little the Raiders do).

And I live in Alabama and had no idea the Saints covered that much of the state relative to the Falcons.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Keep in mind there's about 12 people total in the area the Broncos cover outside of Denver.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The guys on other teams also reflect badly on the Colbet-Tomlin team. Obviously, they were right about Wallace, but the failure to lock up Lewis before he reached free agency was a huge mistake, one that was compounded by the decision to give a big contract to Cortez Allen. Lewis helped them to cover up quite a few flaws his final year in Pittsburgh and they have missed him quite a bit since.

Nose tackle and right outside linebacker are huge in LeBeau's defense and they just haven't been able to find anybody at either spot in quite a while.

They really thought Wheaton would be able to step in for Sanders, but he has failed miserably after a strong start.

Dri Archer in the third round this season was a horrible pick. It was very clear that this team had huge needs all over the place, but they threw away a third-round pick on a guy they didn't need. They also badly misjudged his return ability. He has been horrible returning kickoffs and stunk when they tried him on punts in the preseason.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Love the small, one- or two-county pockets mostly in Mississippi and Alabama that have random teams like the Steelers as their favorite. Obviously, there were or are hometown players from there that play for those teams.
    Some really random ones in Alabama, too. One county is a Lions hotbed. A few more are for the Jets -- maybe a lingering Namath effect? That whole southeastern corner of Alabama and southwestern corner of Georgia is really bizarre. In one eight-county patch you have six different teams represented, most of which are nowhere near native to the area (Chargers, Jets, Broncos and Panthers), and some of the secondary teams on the chart are just as odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted