1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Bagwell retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

After he won the NL Rookie of the Year in 1991, a lot of Red Sox fans talked about how it was a mistake that the Red Sox traded him. In hindsight, it was, but at the time, the Red Sox needed a relief pitcher, had Wade Boggs and another third baseman ahead of him (Cooper, but I can't remember his first name) and with Mo Vaughn at first, it looked like Boston needed a relief pitcher more than it needed Bagwell.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Scott Cooper.

Problem was, Bagwell was born in Boston, and the Red Sox have a history of cherishering their local boys. That was the sin.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No Hall. Not with 449 HRs in this era. Sorry.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But he doesn't have the taint of suspicion. I think it will help him when the time comes.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he doesn't? i suspect. i suspect highly

6 minor league home runs in 731 at-bats

majors -- first four seasons 15, 18, 20, 39 (in shortened '94)....

suspicious indeed

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So people make a jump. I call it growing into your strength in your mid-20's. Others say he's on the juice. If he had gained any substantial weight over that time, I could see it, but he's always been the same, powerful lower legs and pretty squat.

He played consistently well until 2004, great glove at first, excellent baserunner. The numbers may say he's marginal, but I think he gets in.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If he gets in, Canseco better join him.

8. hawker14

hawker14 Member

bagwell's guilty, at the least, by association. close friends with caminiti and holy cow, look at how bagwell's numbers took off around the same time as caminiti's.

a jump from 20 homers to a pro-rated 60 in '94, between the age of 25-26 ? and he didn't juice ? please...bagwell is up there with mcgwire as a juicer, and if mcgwire doesn't get in the hall there is no way in hell bagwell ever will. they've made their money and i really don't care about their legacies. they cheated, we all know it even if mlb won't admit it.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Please. Like you've never used steroids.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's not just steroids, which is another debate altogether. He played in the era of small parks, lively baseballs and expansion-diluted pitching. Has 500 HR ever been more attainable? Yet he's more than a few short of that mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted