1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Bagwell - HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 15, 2006.

?

Do you think Jeff Bagwell will be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Bagwell deserves to get in but won't get the votes

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Bagwell doesn't deserve to get in but will get the votes anyway

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Will Jeff Bagwell's retirement official - do you think he will get voted into the Hall of Fame?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As I said on a previous thread, I think he's borderline, but his being the face of the Astros with Biggio, the MVP, good defense and baserunning, and being the Stros All-time home run leader gets him onto enough ballots eventually.

First ballot would surprise me.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

My unofficial rule about HOF. Dominate for a few years, have solid all around numbers and be a all-star for a majority of years played. By this qualifications I think Bagwell deserves to be a HOF.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

A rookie of the year and an MVP go a long way with me.

Plus a MVP runner-up and a third.

And nine of his 15 seasons in the Astrodome.

If he had played his whole career at Minute Maid, he would have had 600 HRs.

Absolute HOF for me.

5. KP

KP Active Member

It will take a couple shots because some will factor in Enron/Minute Maid, but fail to account for the dome, but he's in.
    If he played in Enron/MM for the first 8-10 years his numbers would be mindnumbing.

Weren't there a lot of roid whispers around him? The way his body broke down.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was brought up yesterday. I always remember him being pretty squat, but he did always seem to have absolute tree trunks for legs.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there have been 'roid whispers about him. And he certainly got bigger and hit more home runs. I personally think that given the era that he played in it's fair to speculate given those facts... but would be unfair to punish him without better proof... And based on his career, I'd say he is borderline, but probably belonging in the HOF.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Exactly, the size of his legs are what I'll remember. And to think, he was supposed to be the guy to replace Wade Boggs.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Borderline HOF ... probably out.

Note to idiotsnetwork: Bags was an all-star 4 times in 15 years, not the majority of his years played.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hard to believe it was just four, but you are correctamundo.

He didn't make the all-star teams in either of the years he finished seventh in the MVP voting.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No to the Hall.

And please don't build anyone's case -- pro or con -- on All-Star selections. Not with fan voting and the rule that every team has to be represented.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll put him in my Hall of Pretty Good.

Draft saved Draft deleted