1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Bagwell and Fred McGriff - HoFers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 25, 2008.

?

Jeff bagwell and Fred McGriff were great players but is either, both or neither Hall of Fame worthy?

1. Jeff Bagwell is a Hall of Famer but not McGriff

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Fred McGriff is a Hall of Famer but not Bagwell

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Both players belong in the Hall of Fame

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Neither player belongs in the Hall of Fame

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. Mini Ditka

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where is it written that each franchise has to be represented in the Hall of Fame?

Besides, Nolan Ryan is already in the HOF.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And the message would be, "Woodwork deserves fame, too."

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Why should Rice be out? Not saying it as a Boston fan, but overall.

4. McGriff led the AL in HR in 1989 with 36.

He led the NL in HR in 1992 with 35.

7 times he was in the top 4 in his league in HR. Simply put he was one of best HR hitters of his time. That time was just fore the "chicks dig the longball" steroids era. McGriff seems like a forgotten victim of those who abused steroids and put up monster HR numbers. Should McGriff get a double whammy because he played before the steroids epidemic and because he was a pretty unassuming person?

Bagwell never led his league in HR (and yes I understand the handicap of playing at the Astrodome).

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

McGriff also played four years longer than Bagwell, 310 more games. He had only 21 more RBI. Given the lengths of their careers, I don't see that as a very big deal. His only significant edge is in home runs, which doesn't come close to matching Bagwell's large advantages in batting average, runs score, on-base percentage and stolen bases.

The point about post-season performance is a good one. I knew McGriff's was better, just not by how much.

Of course, there is also the point somebody raised about Bagwell's name being linked to illegal performance enhancers.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

McGriff also never hit 40 home runs in a single season. Bagwell did it three times, twice while playing his home games in the Astrodome. He also reached 39 homers in a season three more times.

7. dooley_womack1

Top four in homers seven times. Positively Ruthian. Never the marquee 2-3 players on any team. Not a Hall of Famer.

8. Marquee suggests the name you put on a sign to sell tickets. Marquee suggests a superficiality that professionals should be able to overcome.

McGriff was the player you wanted to help you win games. In 1986 when the Braves won their single WS during their run - it was largely on the back of McGriff who was the only cleanup hitter the team used all year and who led the team in HR, RBI and was 2nd in runs scored. He hit 2 HR in the Series - both in games the Braves won by single runs - and had an overall .955 OPS for the Series.

Bagwell gets extra props because he was with just one team his whole career. Is McGriff getting punished because playoff bound teams wanted him as the missing piece in a chance to win a championship? It's a legitimate question.

9. dooley_womack1

Like arguing about angels on a pinhead. He has no prayer, will not even get 50 percent. Would be the case even at 500. Bagwell will get closer, probably not first ballot, but he has hope, at least.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Biggio will get in. I guarantee you that. He'll probably get in on the first ballot.

With Bagwell, I think it will depend on his competition. I say he gets in within three years. While I would not vote for McGriff, I think he gets in too.

Most of the writers vote for 6-7 a year. He'll make it eventually.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obviously, any steroid evidence could have a serious impact on any of them...

12. Sad truth is Bagwell won't get in after his first year of eligibility because some writers will want him and Biggio to go into the Hall together just so they will have an easy storyline to follow. The Hall of Fame is becoming the Hall of the Popular and the voting process is becoming a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted