1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jealous of a man and his beard? This thread is not about Katie Holmes.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, May 31, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J has the best beard ever. Perfect length and it suits him well. He shaves it once or twice a year just to take a break.

Now I get to tell him he's a hipster.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just wanted to give kudos for the thread title.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I can't grow facial hair for shit. An ex-girlfriend of mine once told me every man that has a beard looks better clean shaven. What do y'all think?

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I grow one every year as a Stanley Cup playoff beard. I don't have a favorite team, so I pick a qualifier at random.

If the team lasts more than one round, the beard grows thick enough that I usually keep part of it. Two years ago, it became a Fu Manchu. This year, it has become a Lemmy beard. I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Do you also have a playoff mole?

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

That's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd need the hat to go with it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She was humoring you.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have never tried to grow any semblance of facial hair. It would take me months to grow anything.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not every man looks better cleanshaven. But most men do.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was just kidding.

It varies from man to man. Some look better with; some without.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never even tried. On the few occasions where I've not shaved for a few days, it comes in so patchy.

It looks like the pelt of one of the abused animals Sarah McLaughlin cries about to a suicidally bleak dirge on local TV commercials.

I hate the feeling of stubble too, even when I get 5 o'clock shadow. I wish I had facial hair tear-offs, a la, open-wheel race drivers.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Considering this is my dad's beard

[​IMG]

I am almost a little ashamed I can't grow a beard at 29. I am almost jealous of Crosby. Nothing joins up anywhere. Not in the middle of the mustache, not between the mustache and the chin and not between my patchy side burns and the mustache and chin. Surrounded by nothing I can grow a soul patch and a neck bead that dives straight back off my chin but doesn't extend out to the jaw line.

I tried to grow a mustache about 18 months ago out of boredom and it was just embarrassing. I gave it a month and quit. It wasn't long ago I could get away with shaving once a week. Now I'm at about every two days.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted