1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jealous of a man and his beard? This thread is not about Katie Holmes.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, May 31, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The New York Times, in one of their always baffling trend stories, says that a growing number of Brooklyn men (translation = hipsters!) who cannot grow beards feel ostracized and jealous of the hirsute who walk among us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/fashion/oh-to-be-just-another-bearded-face.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=fashion&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1338483615-dyhAjGnKyHiiaxYb9xuhDA

Behold! The epitome of virility!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Paging Brian Williams ... not about the beard, but about his bit a few years ago when he said the media story of the year was the New York Times discovering the existence of Brooklyn, with its open-air markets and artisanal cheeses. "It's like Marrakesh."

I never really liked Brian Williams much until I saw this.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I now intend to go to Brooklyn where I can intimidate people with my magnificent beard.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

One can only hope the author's source was joking about beard growth and drinking beer. Um ...

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Derek Holland needs an intervention to tell him it's okay if he can't grow facial hair.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, Brian Williams is funny. Between watching him on The Daily Show, 30 Rock and when he hosted SNL, you could put him in a Thursday night comedy where he played a Ron Swanson-esq deadpan executive and he wouldn't miss a beat.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't believe that on the entire internet I can't find any photographic evidence of the Cheers beard growing contest episode.

"The Klavan beard grows in spurts"

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I've been on the receiving end of beard envy, and it's not pretty.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Speakng of Ron Swanson and facial hair, I frantically shaved before work the other day, leaving only my mustache, and when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror later, I thought, " Holy shit, I'm starting to look just like the Cubs fan on those New Era commercials!" Another week and I'll be all set for my appearance on SNL.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone who has been shaving daily since junior high, I would jump up and down if I could not grow a beard.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Wait, is Offerman on tap to host SNL? That sounds glorious.

I started growing my beard when I found out my wife was pregnant. Nothing looks more masculine than an old picture of a dude with a beard holding a newborn. Twenty years from now, we're going to dig up the pictures of the boy and I will look like a STUD.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I can't grow a full beard but if I don't shave daily I look like hell. It's just enough to be a pain. It's like the top of my head — not growing everywhere it should, but where it does grow it comes in fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted