1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD: Windows 7, no sound, new sound cards won't install, no way to go back to XP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So, I have a PC with no sound now, and no way to get it.

Thanks, Windows.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Windows 7 with no sound: It was JD's idea.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Any suggestions out there? I'm frustrated.

4. Johnny Dangerously

The longer short version: I have a Dell Dimension 4400 I bought in 2002. It's been a really good buy. It came with XP. Before I moved my stuff into storage, I did a few things that corrupted part of XP. When I got my PC out of storage, it worked, but it took 30 minutes to boot up.

To try to speed that up, I installed Windows 7. Now it boots up quickly. But there's no sound.

Dell sold me a new sound card. It wouldn't install. It shut down Windows while installing. So Dell sent me another. Same thing. Now Dell says "it's your motherboard." How so? My computer had sound a week ago. It doesn't now, not with the old sound card (which wasn't compatible with Windows 7), and not with the new sound card.

Can't go back to XP. Windows won't let you. So I'm screwed. Or am I?

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did you address this thread to yourself?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Download the install disk and go from there. There's no need to be comfortable in a linux environment either. I've installed it on two older computers and they run like champs now. Most everything you could possibly need is also included or is available for download.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Do you think it would let me install the new sound card that is crashing when I try to install it in Windows? If it doesn't, then I am at the same place I am now, with a new system I don't understand how to use. What's your confidence level about it letting me install the sound card with the sound card CD?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Buy a Mac.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Reset the bios?

10. Johnny Dangerously

That sounds tricky
    Is it?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Does a computer that old even meet the system requirements for Windows 7? You may just have a box that can't run it successfully. You might check the support forum at MS of that's the case. Or call their support line.

12. Johnny Dangerously

The person who bought the version of Windows 7 for me said it would work, but I don't know how extensively she checked into that. Thing is, Windows 7 seems to work like a charm on this PC. It just won't recognize the sound card or let me install it.

Draft saved Draft deleted