1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Drew to Red Sox for $70 mil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No need to clarify, Moddy. J.D. Drew = bundle of sh_t.

Nice line about the physical, Chris_L. But you know as well as I do that Scott Boras will gladly lend Drew what little heart he has for a little extra on the commission check.

Next time I hear Bud lying out his a_s about baseball being broke, remember signings this freakin' stupid. I used to think Theo Epstein had some sense. Guess that's what I get for thinking.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Especially when you could have had Cabrera for less.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the Nats would have been part of a three-way trade with Manny and Chad Cordero. That didn't take when the Sox liked the idea of keeping Ervin Santana rather than flipping him to the Nats.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/12/05/manny.trade/index.html

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

This comment is worthless without pictures ... or at least a good attempt at a graphic artist's rendering.

This offseason, the Sox are spending suspiciously like ... the Yankees of 2001-2005.

Lots of cash for lots of way-less-than-sure things on the open market, all on semi-long deals (five years for Drew, four for Lugo, probably at least four for Matsuzaka). The Lugo deal surprises me almost as much Drew's, considering how he flamed out in L.A. after the trade last year. I know he was miscast a bit, but this could easily turn out to be another Renteria.

If they knew they were bringing in Drew to upgrade the offense behind Ortiz and Manny, I'm surprised they didn't consider keeping Alex Gonzalez's defense for a couple of years at less than half the price, even if he hits slightly better than a present-day Ted Williams. Maybe they wanted Lugo to lead off ... guess that's at least a slight admission of misjudging Crisp's ability last offseason.

Of those three guys, Matsuzaka -- D-Mat, if you're tight with Scotty B. -- looks like the "surest" bet, and he's going to be judged on an AAV of $25M when all is said and done. Wow. Like the kid needed any more pressure than walking into Boston with the expectation of picking up the torch last passed from young Clemens to young Pedro.

Puzzling Sox offseason so far, really.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Pull your head out of your ass.

If Ryan Howard can play 150 games at 1B, Ortiz can play 10-20

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And Capt. Hypocrisy laps some more of his pearl jam out of his right palm.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Honestly, I hope Ortiz tries to play first base because he will eventually break a leg with so much weight on top of them.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Red Sox fans won't think this is so great when he (a) goes to sleep for the first four years of the deal and (b) as previously pointed out . . . lives on the injury list.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Odds are that that will happen.

10. OK, so Manny Ramirez is a problem off the field, but Drew, who's rarely on the field, and Lugo, with whom at least one police force is familiar, aren't.
    I get it now.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Drew, August 2007:

I have a sore fingernail, I won't be available for the Yankee series. I should be okay for the KC series next week, though.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Drew firmly established his shit credentials when filming his version of The Philadelphia Story.

Nothing's changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted