1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jazz enthusiasts I need your help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 15, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of the Verve boxes and they're great samplers. I'll second Wynton Marsalis's LCJO stuff (saw them live once and they were amazing). Marsalis's Live At The Village Vanguard box (I bought it dirt cheap when it was released off CDNow) is recommended too.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that Monk was even better before he finally found his way to a recording studio, but he remained a trailblazer and an awesome talent at Columbia, and beyond. Miles gave Evans his stamp of approval, and you don't have to listen very long to understand why. Evans was indisputably great . . . though I personally prefer others more.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for years for someone to get my birthday gift here:

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/giftcard.asp

Instead, I get grilling utensils.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Wow. I think I know where some of that Gov't rebate money is going to go.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about a pair of John Stockton shorts?

[​IMG]

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you want to try a vocal album get Rosemary Clooney's disc with Ellington's orchestra. Great stuff.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Or Frank live at the Sands with the Count Basie Orchestra.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

While that's largely about Frank . . . and we could do with a shortening of the lengthy recititives interrupting the musical programming . . . that's not a bad thing.
    One of the dynamite albums of the era.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pretty much every live Frank album or bootleg I've heard has a lengthy monologue or two (some of them, as I'm sure you know, Ben, not exactly politically correct these days). As much as people wanted to hear him sing I guess he wanted to hear himself talk.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I understand you don't want to strain the pipes for a straight-ahead hour, which I'd guess is why most use the device . . . but at least one of the Basie breaks is especially long . . . you have to do what you have to do . . . the one time I saw Bennett (within the past eighteen months), he'd sing the shortest versions of songs allowable . . . and take a ton of breaks. TB's no kid, and I understand, but it's disconcerting.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good point but I dig listening to those big bands go. I've seen hundreds of rock shows but there's nothing like a big band at full blast.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Depending on what your father likes, here's a list that I've come up with of what he might like (All of the following are from the 1950s and early 1960s, which I think is what you mean by 'older' and what I enjoy the most). If your father prefers a certain instrument, hopefully this list of each will help you:

Piano
    Dave Brubeck: Time Out (Take Five alone makes this album worth it), Time Further Out, Jazz Goes to College
    Ahmad Jamal: But Not For Me, Live at the Penthouse
    Bill Evans: At Town Hall, Waltz for Debby
    Oscar Peterson: Bursting out with the All-Star Big Band, At the Concertgebouw
    Thelonious Monk: At Town Hall, Big Band and Quartet in Concert, Thelonious with John Coltrane
    Vince Guaraldi: He did the Charlie Brown soundtracks (which are good), but his trio stuff is great. Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus (Cast Your Fate to the Wind is the hit here), V.G. in Person, V.G. and Bola Sete: All Sides
    McCoy Tyner: Inceptions

Sax
    Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax): Concert Jazz Band at Village Vanguard, A Concert in Jazz, G.M. Meets Ben Webster
    John Coltrane (soprano, alto): J.C. and Johnny Hartman (vocalist), My Favorite Things, Giant Steps, Blue Train
    Cannonball Adderley (alto): Somethin' Else, Things are Getting Better, C.A. Quintet in San Francisco
    Lee Konitz: Live at the Half-Note

Trumpet
    Miles Davis: Cookin', Relaxin', Steamin', Workin' (all four are classics), Kind of Blue, Round About Midnight, Someday My Prince Will Come
    Nat Adderley: Work Song
    Dizzy Gillespie: Anything will do, but I highly recommend At Newport, Birk's Works, D.G. with Roy Eldridge
    Art Farmer: Meet the Jazztet
    Clifford Brown: C.B. Quartet in Paris, Jam Session

Trombone
    J.J. Johnson: The Great Kai and J.J., Proof Positive, Dial J.J. 5
    Bob Brookmeyer: Traditionalism Revisted

Arrangers
    Gil Evans: Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, Sketches of Spain (those three are collaborations with Miles Davis and are must-haves), Gil Evans and Ten, Old Wine New Bottle (for what it's worth, Gil is my favorite). This is an excerpt of Miles Ahead:

Norman Granz: Any of his albums will do
    Duke Ellington: Any are great, but if you do get one, get Ellington at Newport, his 1956 concert.
    Count Basie: C.B. at Newport, 1959, C.B. and the Kansas City 7

Others
    Modern Jazz Quartet: Django, Lonely Woman
    Wes Montgomery (guitar): The Incredible Jazz Guitar of W.M.
    Lionel Hampton: Hamp and Getz

All of the above I have on LP and am 99.9 percent sure are available on CD. Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted