1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jayson Stark's Most Over-rated/Under-rated list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 16, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Who would have been a more deserving Cy Young winner in '05? Santana or Rivera? After those rough couple of games against the Sox, Rivera put together one of his best seasons ever:

7-4, 1.38 ERA, 43-for-47 saves, 80 Ks, 50H/18BB in 78 1/3 innings (0.87 WHIP)

I know voters have a disdain for handing the Cy Young to relievers, but he's one of the top 5 relievers ever. Doesn't the guy deserve something like a "Lifetime Achievement" version of the award? I'm sure similar scenarios have occured before. I strongly feel that Rivera's '05 season is grossly under-rated.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

That's just pure Yankee-hatin' right there. Give the man his due.

3. The way you express your opinions so authoritatively cracks me up.
    If it's baseball, you just render a decision and then move on as if the baseball god has spoken.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, if I didn't have Jones' quote down in my sig, I'd totally use that. :D

(And besides, I'm right. The CYA should not be used as a lifetime achievement and Santana was better than anyone else in the AL in 2005.)

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Santana with his 2.61 ERA, 238 Ks, 180 hits/45 walks in 231 innings (0.92 WHIP).

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Anyway, Rivera's lifetime achievement award will be a spot in Cooperstown. He was top 3 in CYA voting four times (and top 10 in MVP voting twice), 400+ saves, a career 2.35 ERA, most dominant closer for a decade, greatest postseason closer ever, and on and on.

He doesn't need a CYA to cement his legacy.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I think Rivera's overrated.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think you're over-rated. (Yes, I really am a 10 year-old)

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The year he should have gotten it was '96, when he was used when needed, not as a "closer". I've never seen a pitcher be as valuable with 100 or so innings.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

You think voters hate giving the Cy Young to a closer? Try convincing them to consider a middle reliever.

"Yeah, but he had 27 holds."

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No closer has ever done more for his team than Rivera did that year. Who did more for Deroit last year, Zumaya or Jones?

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Granted.

All I'm saying is that a middle reliever really has no shot at the Cy Young. There's usually a reason he's not a starter or closer (inconsistency, inexperience, etc.) that voters aren't willing to overlook.

In Rivera's case it was inexperience. And I think that first season looks better now than it did at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted