1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jayson Stark's Most Over-rated/Under-rated list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 16, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I know this was posted on the running MLB thread, but I thought a topic like this deserved it's own thread. As most of you all know, Jayson Stark just came out with a list book about over-rated/under-rated players. It's no Paper Lion, but it's a good read, makes you think and a great way to start a good debate. The one thing he repeatedly tries to tell the readers is this: if a guy is called "over-rated," it does not mean he sucks. It only means that over the length of his career, said player is not AS good as the public thinks. For example: Sandy Koufax probably had the best six years of any pitcher in the game, but IF YOU LOOK AT HIS ENTIRE career, it isn't that sparkling. Like he also said, this book is intended to create debate and we aren't supposed to all agree (see: Boras, Scott). With that said, here are the rosters:

All Over-Rated: All Under-Rated
    C - Benito Santiago C - Yogi Berra
    1B - Steve Garvey 1B - Hank Greenberg
    2B - Steve Sax 2B - Craig Biggio
    3B - Graig Nettles 3B - Ron Santo
    SS - Phil Rizzuto SS - Barry Larkin
    LF - Lou Brock LF - Stan Musial
    CF - Andruw Jones CF - Duke Snider
    RF - Dave Winfield RF - Frank Robinson
    DH - Ron Blomberg DH - Edgar Martinez
    RHP - Nolan Ryan RHP - Bob Feller
    LHP - Sandy Koufax LHP - Babe Ruth
    CL - Lee Smith CL - Goose Gossage

I expect blood to be spilled over his choices at CF & LHP. Personally, how in the hell is Craig Biggio UNDER-rated? If anyone needs quotes from the book, let me know.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

How are Musial and Robinson underrated; they're widely considered among te greatest to ever play.

And was Steve Sax ever that rated at all?

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I don't see how Nolan Ryan is over rated. Other then that it is a really good list.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

My only explaination is that probably few people really talk that much about Musial & Robinson's accomplishments. That's a little shaky with Robinson, but he does have a point as far as no one really bringing up Musial's name up in the convo of the game's greatest hitters, which usually goes to DiMaggio, Ruth, Williams, Cobb, etc...

A lot of people thought Ryan was the greatest pitcher ever because of the strikeouts, which explains why he was the leading pitching vote-getter in that All-Century team eight years ago. I think we all know that all Ryan was was the greatest strikeout pitcher of all-time, but that's it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sandy Koufax, the best pitcher I ever saw, overrated?
    Guess I'll never believe another thing Stark says.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think he's dead on with Frank Robinson. He's among the best 3 or 4 ever, better than Mantle and DiMaggio were if you ask me.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think he's dead on with Musial, too. 3,630 hits? Jeeeezus.

Dead on with Gossage, as well. What a travesty that man's not in the Hall.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but Musial almost always enters the conversations I've had about the greatest hitters. He's also the subject of what I think is the weirdest stat in baseball. He had 3,630 hits, exactly half at home (1,815) and half on the road (1,815).

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Two thoughts:
    1. How can guys be under-rated if they're in the Hall of Fame?
    2. This reminds me of when the first issue of Bill James' Baseball Abstract came out, I'm guessing, 1981 or '82. As I recall, he made a case for Nolan Ryan not being a great pitcher. I threw it in the trash and never bothered with it again. Ask the players who had to bat against them. That's enough for me.

10. Oz

Oz Active Member

I think he's basing it on the fact that Koufax had six amazing years that were far and above whatever else he did. It would be like calling Pedro Martinez the best ever after his run from 1996-2000.

Great player, no doubt, but lacking long-term longevity.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Andruw ain't doing himself any favors in the overrated/underrated debate with the year he's having.

Draft saved Draft deleted