1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay-Z on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Em is hilarious, he is definitely one of the top MC's working right now.

I may have used corny wrong there, but I have always loved Em, as far as creativity, there are not many that can touch him and I would not want to get in any kind of battle with him.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nah, I was referencing your "corny" in relation to Big.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A battle? I thought it was a way to express the plight of those stuck in the ghettos.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I heard the other day on the radio that Em and Mariah have the same publicist. What the program director was getting at when she brought that up, I think, was that she thinks the whole Em-Mariah feud is all a publicity stunt.

5. imjustagirl

It's selling records for Mariah, I know that. :D

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

True. Mariah has always sold well. I think she is one of the, if not the, top selling American female artist of all-time.

7. I do remember our conversation, and of course I think you know hip-hop....my declaration was more toungue in cheek because I couldn't believe you had nas ahead of big....

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It's all good. I listened to some BIG when I was studying tonight. I will amend that one and move BIG up.

But he still ain't better than Pac :)

9. As a Redskins fan, I'll take what I can get

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

I listened to Blueprint 3 once through and thought it was amazing, so I had to give it a couple days and then listen to it again. Still amazing. "Empire State" is an absolute jam, and as simple as it is, I love the line, "I sell more Yankees hats than a Yankee can."

As for American Gangster and it being an "almost classic," FLnewb: I think AG is a classic for the sheer storytelling part of it. Jay took the entire album and made it a story, forming the ups and downs of a hypothetical life and career along the way. And he carries it the whole way through. It's not in his top five, but it's an outstanding album. An album like AG would give most guys incentive enough to quit. And it's not even one of Jay's five best. Crazy.

11. Blueprint 3 is an absolute classic, through and through. I absolutely love it...so many gems on it. Empire State of mind is fierce, the joint with Jeezy, the joint with swizz beats, the one with Kid Cudi, so ambitious with Pharrell, it's just an exceptional album. It's by far his best work since the black album

12. imjustagirl

Buying it Thursday when I get paid. At like 3 a.m. when the money hits my account. Watch out, iTunes!

Draft saved Draft deleted