1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay-Z on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Jay-Z has the best collab album ever, but it's not with Notorious. Eminem ate him on his own beat, "Renegade" and yeah, that's close to "Forgot About Dre."

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Rush rapped, they would be the greatest.

I am loving how people are getting pissed off about this. Do you see this when the Stones, Beatles and Zepplin are discussed?

3. i don't see people getting pissed off at all. i see a healthy conversation, so please don't ruin it with your corny wannabe jokes. thanks.

rumple, I loved renegade, and I'm really not one of those guys that thinks eminem ate him on his own beat, like Nas so publicly contended. I still like I love the dough better. I like Brooklyn's finest better as well. Both of those are better than renegade.

I do love em's line where he said the priest was giving him holy water and tried to hold him under longer. That was classic.

4. 93Devil

Do they use the shift key when they rap?

I just think it's funny that there ahs to be a best rapper, or that a rapper "ate him on his own beat." What is so wrong with a good song or a great album?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There doesn't "have" to be either. And people are crediting good songs and good albums.

What is your damage?

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Like I said before, if you don't like the type of music, go post on one of the other threads.

I'm not gonna post on a thread about all the music that people here listen to that I think sucks.

7. 93Devil

I like it well enough, I have just never understood the Tupac is Biggie's bitch or the other crap associated with it.

I'm sure all of these guys are good. I mean they are not cranking out "Me So Horney" songs, but the fans of each will just bad mouth the other rappers to no end. That's what I don't understand.

8. imjustagirl

I see none of that here.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Aside from FloridaNewb telling me I don't know Hip-Hop, which I didn't get offended by, I don't see anything here that could be construed as bad mouthing.

I think FloridaNewb and I may have had this debate on a thread some months back. I seem to to recall VIBE naming Em as the greatest living MC and we had a pretty spirited (and very fun) debate about the same thing back then.

10. imjustagirl

I love Eminem. If he didn't freak out (and nail Mariah Carey) I'd put him in my top three. I don't know where he'd fit, looking at the whole package. But I DO love his flow, and he has the humor (corny as you put it) but I've always enjoyed his stuff immensely.

11. 93Devil

Not here, but between the artists themselves, and that trickles down to many of their fans.

I'm sure many of you can quote lyrics that allude to Tupac getting close with Biggie's wife or GF.

12. imjustagirl

Oh my god. That's the basis of rap/hip-hop. It's a battle form. If you're really going to come onto a thread about rap and complain that you don't understand why it has to be a competition... It's not a competition...but it is about bragging rights. Always has been.

If you don't get that, then you REALLY don't need to be weighing in on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted