1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay-Z on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, that was just painful to watch. Help me out here, folks. Is this guy always that inarticulate? I think that's the hardest Dave's had to work on a guest since Joaquin Phoenix.

And while we're at it, wasn't this dude's previous album supposed to be his retirement swan song?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. 1: Fuck you. :D I don't think anyone's ever called Jay inarticulate before.

No. 2: No, it was like three albums ago.

No. 3: Lips. For. Days.

[​IMG]

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You've heard his music, right?

4. imjustagirl

Apparently not, if he asked that.

5. Killick

Did you watch the interview? I've heard his music -I'm not a fan - but the lyrics always seemed okay to me. But just chatting with Dave? Egads. Awkward one and two-word answers max. You could almost hear Dave screaming "And?!?!" in his head.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's what happens when you don't write down your thoughts.

7. imjustagirl

I didn't see this interview, no. But Jay-Z is a hilarious person who will crack you up with a joke...but you have to work for it. Him going on Dave was a bad idea. He was great on Maher.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

IJAG, that was Ja-Z you were hanging out with who was cracking those funny jokes. Check the autograph he gave you.

My only time seeing Letterman live, Janet Jackson was on. Now that was painful. It wasn't even one-word answers, more like half-word answers. Whispered.

9. Killick

In fairness, maybe he was freaked about being on with Dave. He did seem a little nervous, and it would account for the sheepishness and a bit of incoherency. Catch it on the web if you can, IJAG. It was just... weird.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That was weird.

In the background I was waiting to see Bunny Colvin and the kids waiting to go to the steakhouse.

Was the laughter canned? I mean, they were not laughing at Jay-Z right?

I almost thought Jay-Z was doing this as a running gag like Andy Kaufman used to do. If that is the case, then genius. If not, then wow.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If he was trying to be funny, it wasn't.

If that is who he is when interviewed, it was pathetic.

I like his music and respect his business acumen but watching him last night was painful.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jay is actually very articulate and a pretty intelligent dude. I also saw the interview with Maher and he was great. Someone earlier mentioned this is what happens when you don't write your thoughts down, I once heard a story that Jay doesn't even write his rhymes down. He just goes in the studio and pretty much freestyles, which, if true, is pretty awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted