1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Mar 24, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yowza, that was like Woodstock!

I'd love Joe to come on here and explain "ovation."

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Joe? Joe?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rick Stain just got hard.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The gradual evolution of SJ.com from "Place where journalists talk about journalism and make wise-ass remarks about news and culture" to "Right wing talking point gang bang" has been a pleasure to watch.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

"As people tire of bringing up his legal troubles, Mariotti will be judged on his work, the people he hires, his columns and his reporting skills. But just because the guy is well-known (infamous, even) and controversial doesn’t mean it’s going to work."

This statement, from a SF Bay Area blogger Steve Berman (Bay Area Sports Guy) post, pretty much sums up the most fair and thoughtful analysis of this story I've read.

Bay Area Sports Guy – Examiner hires Jay Mariotti: let the boasting and self-victimization begin!

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They got to you. Sad.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

His final lede:

Millennials live in the now. They don’t want to hear about tomorrow because they realize today is tenuous, having grown up when planes were crashing into the World Trade Center and social media began to sabotage lives.

This story was about the Warriors going for 73 wins.

I have no words.

HanSenSE and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm sure DW is anxiously awaiting the flood of "Social media ruined my life" essays.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Mariotti's contribution to the FanHouse oral history was amazing. It was 100 percent as Mariotti as possible, which is to say deeply smug and insistent the arrival of big-name columnists and their spending habits classed up the joint.

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Mariotti needs a permanent mute from Tony Reali.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Gregg Doyel sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted