1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It's funny how much coverage he got at all.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He was a huge name for a long time. Definitely a top 10 columnist by fame, if not from talent.

So many delighted in his fall that there's going to be a lot of curiosity in how he does at at paper that is mostly irrelevant.

There was a rumor about 2-3 years ago that he was about to be hired at a decent sized paper and it was basically a done deal, but he said or did something that gave them a whiff of what a complete pain in the ass he was going to be and it fell through.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I assume you mean that Cooper's tweet is ethically questionable. Is it libelous? I would say no because the (since-expunged) charges and convictions are public and Mariotti is a public figure.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a libel case drum all this stuff back up? I doubt Mariotti would me on board for rehashing that case in court.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

It's all out there anyway. I'm not sure how rehashing does any more damage to Mariotti. Winning a libel case against the editor of Chronicle would vindicate him - at least in his mind. That's all predicated on the supposition that he'd actually have a case. I don't think he does.

6. SnarkShark

He doesn't. And I think reminding everyone again how he behaved that night would do significantly more damage.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just meant that Cooper, as the editor of the Chronicle, should be above that kind of stuff. When you are "the" editor, what you say reflects on everyone beneath you. Some columnist? Fine. But what happens if a news story happens involving Mariotti? A reasonable person could say that Cooper's tweet might make the Chronicle a less that reputable source for objective reporting.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cooper is commenting on something that is objective truth.

People are allowed to do that.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

That would never happen.

10. SnarkShark

Yeah. He would never run afoul of the law.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What happened to his gig at that Florida sports web site?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if steroids are a worse offense in his world than applauding a dinner speaker?

Draft saved Draft deleted