1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

He wrote that the case was expunged. There was no conviction, Tucsondriver. And, though I'm not going to click back into his long piece linked above from SF Weekly, he seems to have taken that Chronicle editor to task for her erroneous portrayal of the situation. I'm not a fan of how Mariotti comports himself as a professional, but if his fame and unlikeability allowed a woman to get him in a bind -- if that's really the case -- then people ought to respect the court's untangling of the matter. There always is plenty of reason to dislike Mariotti on merit, if that is one's view.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He pleaded no contest. While not the same as an admission of guilt, it's treated the same as a conviction by the courts. And all expungement means is that the case is sealed - so if you looked to see if he had a criminal record, it would show that he had none and he can legally say he has no record. But, as we know - the incident did happen, he knows it happened and accepted punishment for it.
    Jay Mariotti pleads no contest in stalking, assault case | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Jay Mariotti is what he is, a psuedo-famous loudmouth who this free paper knew they could hire and generate a buzz. I mean, seriously, if they don't hire him, who the fuck cares about this paper?

But to me, the person we should be RIPPING THE SHIT OUT OF for being a small-minded piece of shit unprofessional clown is the editor of the SF Chronicle, who apparently decided to lower herself and stoop to the level of a low-brow moron like Mariotti and then ripped him.

That tweet is ridiculous, especially from the editor of a so-called respected news outlet.

I Should Coco and Ace like this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So we can hate on Mariotti for ripping people for years and cowardly never facing them in a locker room?

But we can't rip him for hitting women because of legal shenanigans?

Whatever.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The editor of the Chronicle called a girlfriend-beater a girlfriend-beater. Not sure I see the problem.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Audrey Cooper presumably knows that none of her employees have ever been cited for domestic violence.

I hope, for their sake, she's right. Because there could be people who will now take the time to find out and post that information.

I wouldn't hire Mariotti, well, for a variety of reasons, with his historical disinterest in reporting at the top of the list.

But, damn, what a risk the Chronicle editor takes. Needlessly, too.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I thought that introductory column was a good one. If he can reach that level of interest consistently, the hiring decision will be seen as a good one.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Joe has an interesting moral compass.

Steroids in baseball? Ban those bastards for ruining the great games good name. Domestic abuse? Meh

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I hope the Giants hire Ozzie Guillen.

10. RickReilly'sDentist

RickReilly'sDentist New Member

Dude will always be guilty of this mullet though. [​IMG]

11. RecoveringJournalist

A former co-worker of his told me, "To truly hate Jay, you have to work at the same paper or in the same market as him." This guy fucking hated Mariotti.

Jay has more than his share of enemies, but he also has a lot of friends. I don't know if those friends have disappeared in the last five years, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. But when you would see Jay at games, he wouldn't be exiled the way Albom was. More than a few times I've been in very crowded media dining areas and Albom is sitting there with five open seats at his table. Truly fucking amazing.

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's funny how many places used this mug for the story about him going to the Examiner.

DarkHorses likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted