1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

This isn't new news. His hire as Sports Director/Columnist at the San Francisco Examiner was already noted on the jobs thread.

San Francisco Examiner Sports Editor | SportsJournalists.com

Apologies for jacking but there wasn't much on the Mariotti hire and I assumed that might have been because it wasn't on the journalism thread. Considering Mariotti's history and profile, I think the hire warrants discussion. For those who may not know, the Examiner is a free daily tabloid that's nothing like it was under Hearst ownership (Hearst now owns the Chronicle). The position was originally advertised (on this site, among others) as a Sports Editor gig, but was apparently revised to reflect the multimedia approach the Examiner is taking with this gig (or one that better suited Mariott's skill set).

I don't know Mariotti personally and have no beef with him. Since he pleaded no contest to domestic violence charges (for what it's worth, the conviction was expunged), not going out on a limb here saying he's obviously got some character flaws. But let's be honest here, he's not the only one in this business who fits into that category. So what's up with Mariotti? Is there another side to his story? Has he gotten a bum rap, or is he truly as evil as he's been described?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My personal dealings with Jay were always pleasant, but it's really difficult to say he's gotten anything resembling a bum rap.

He was on Whitlock's podcast a couple years ago and he sounded guilty as fuck. Even before all of that, there wasn't a bridge he wasn't more than happy to torch. Sometimes guys get away with that for their entire careers, and sometimes, in the case of Jay, it catches up to you.

Riptide and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am with RJ here. I got along fine with Jay, but he was and I assume still is addicted to the hot take and fiery stands of alleged independence. That wears on people -- readers and bosses especially. I know nothing about the facts of his legal issues, but that's a very bad crime.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Quaint that someone with such a big name would be headed to print or more precisely, a free shopper.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

SF Weekly, a sister paper of the Examiner, has a story about the Mariotti hire noting what the new editor views as similarities between him and Hunter S. Thompson, claiming that hire represents the company's intent to "dust off the spirit of gonzo."

New Editor, Controversial Sports Writer -- What More Could You Want (To Be Outraged By)? | News | San Francisco | San Francisco News and Events | SF Weekly

Here's an excerpt:

"He's a friggin' lightning rod, hated by some, loved by others. He's become a pariah in some quarters, and a cause célèbre to those who think he's been treated unfairly."

Yeah, they said that. I'm not aware that he has any public supporters or his "cause" is a cause célèbre to anybody but Mariotti himself, but if the SF Weekly says it must be true right?

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I wouldn't call the Examiner a shopper. More so than you'd expect from a metro daily for sure, but not exactly a shopper.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The SF Examiner is invisible. It's below the stature of a shopper.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Mariotti says the domestic assault charge was expunged, and that he never touched or stalked anyone. So why are so many fellow media people still pounding on him regards the alleged domestic assault?

Joe Williams likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good thing sports writers never have to write about domestic violence.

11. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

To say he's not popular among industry peers would be an understatement, so there's that. His convictions were expunged - not overturned. I don't believe it's libelous to refer to him as a "girlfriend batterer" (that's the tweet SF Chronicle Editor Audrey Cooper put out that Mariotti was referring to in his column)

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

1. The editor of the Chron shouldn't be tweeting that.
    2. Mariotti has ripped guys like Mariotti for much less without foundation.

Draft saved Draft deleted