1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Leno to stay at NBC and air at 10 p.m.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it isn't overkill at 11:30, I don't think it is at 10.

(Subtract one hour for those of us on God's Time — Central.)

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The only thing The Office shares with the BBC version is the title and the concept. The rest is completely reinvented. Saying 30 Rock is a take-off on SNL is like saying Homicide was a "take-off" on the Baltimore police department. A show has got to be set somewhere, but what else does 30 Rock have in common with SNL?
    Line up The Office, 30 Rock and Earl vs. any other network's comedy lineup, and NBC wins big.
    (And, for the record, Big Bang has drowned its original concept by centralizing the Sheldon character, whose contrivances have become frequently annoying. There are too many good characters to focus 90 percent of the shows on his eccentricities).

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That smacks of the Tampa Bay Bucs moving Jeff Garcia to feature back while they see if first-round draft choice Matt Stafford is going to get the job done.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Dear Jay Leno,

You're not funny anymore.
    In fact, I don't remember a time when you were funny.
    Please, for the love of god, go away and become a full-time Popular Mechanics contributor.

You managed to stay on the air for this long as a sham, why not let Conan have his moment in the sun?

Sincerely,

People with a sense of humor.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't NBC just commit to devoting the 8-9 ET/PT hour to reality and game shows, save for Thursday nights?

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I got the joke.

BYH should have made it, though.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It just hit me. Quite good, actually. ;)

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Which apparently are a minority of the TV watchers that determine the current late-night ratings.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like Universal doesn't produce decent shows for its cable outlets. Burn Notice is great, and In Plain Sight is decent. TNT has Leverage and The Closer, AMC has Mad Men. People are watching those shows and it isn't like they wouldn't fit into the standards and practices broadcast networks have to stay within.
    My biggest beef is that NBC, like the newspaper industry, appears to be just giving up, while touting its moves as "bold" when they are merely to minimize losses. There is no up side to the Leno move.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can do things twice as well and twice as long as the walking death clock.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like satisfy a woman?

Oh wait.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't fail because I don't have the opportunity. What do you do with the chance(s)?

Draft saved Draft deleted