1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Leno to stay at NBC and air at 10 p.m.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 8, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think you're confused. It's Zuckerman and Silver.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Conan will have to change his show completely as Letterman did when moving up an hour.
    I can't see Conan pulling it off.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why not? Fox Network gives up that slot seven times a week. At least NBC is offering up more than Rupert.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Which is why there has always been a big three.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fox doesn't give it up because Fox never used it...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's still giving up the time slot.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I don't think this supports your thinking:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272%7C%7C%7Cweekly,00.html

Pretty embarrassing when the NFL is the only thing that's bailing your ass out of a shutout.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering Fox has House, the Simpsons, 24 and a little show called American Idol, I really don't think NBC and Fox belong in the same sentence. Throw in the first-run Cops and Americas Most Wanted - and their Sunday line-up and NBC will be producing fewer hours of regular TV shows than FOX next Fall.
    If NBC wants to start comparing itself to the CW and MyTV they can go ahead.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Succeeding Leno at 10 pm: Twilight Zone circa 2003 reruns!

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Thing is, no matter what NBC does or doesn't have now, this hurts the whole idea of prime time TV. Only two hours a night to program from now on? No need to try anything different, take a chance, air something edgy. Some of the all-time great shows have aired at 10 p.m., and many of them would never have happened with Leno on at 10.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"All In The Family" was based on a British show. Norman Lear had to be creative to turn the idea into something that worked for American audiences.

You said "creative people" were avoiding NBC. Aren't the people who have done five seasons of "The Office" creative? If you've read the posts here, the US version only bears a slight resemblance to the British original.

The concept of the show is the easy part. It's the scriptwriting and character development that require the creativity.

Draft saved Draft deleted