1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Horwitz out for season

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigDog, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The update, per the Times' baseball blog:

<i>Jay Horwitz, the longtime spokesman for the Mets, fractured his ankle Thursday morning while walking to walk and will undergo surgery Monday.

Horwitz, 66, the team’s vice president for media relations, has been with the Mets since 1980, and over the years he has become one of the more familiar faces on the team.

The Mets said Horwitz, who lives in Clifton, N.J., stayed at a hotel near Citi Field on Wednesday night after the team flew back from Miami so that he could get to work more quickly Thursday, with the Mets scheduled to play a doubleheader against Atlanta, beginning at 4 p.m.

The Mets said Horwitz was at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and would need at least two weeks of bed rest after his operation. Jason Isringhausen, who has known Horwitz since he was a young player in his first stint with the Mets in the mid-1990s, said some players would try to visit him over the weekend.</i>

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Mets said he would need at least two weeks of bed rest. Coming from the Mets, I'd expect Horwitz won't be ready by spring training.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The big question is who will return first, Horowitz or Ike Davis?

Draft saved Draft deleted